Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Is this a Ludwig set?

Hi I wondered if this actually is a Ludwig set. The seller says that he bought it without any badges or stickers inside. The seller he bought if from also claimed the same when he bought it, and that it probably never had been any.

Is this possible? Some kind of a custom order?

It's a double 26"x14" (one virgin), 14", 16", 18" and 20" toms (insane) Chewie:

Here's a image and at the end I'll post two links to a site for more pictures.

[img]http://www.peskog.se/sale/ludwig/images/kit1.jpg[/img]

http://www.peskog.se/sale/ludwig/

http://www.peskog.se/sale/ludwig/mer.htm

Posted on 16 years ago

Quite possible that you have a 1970's era Ludwig. The interior is what they called "Granitone". Looks like a pieced together kit? Didn't see any badges, so it's hard to call, but the shells look like Ludwig 3 plys guessing finish is Mahogany Cortex

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

That definately looks like a real Ludwig to me! Strange about the badges.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Maybe the original owner didn't like the look of the badges. Many folks don't think about the resale value of a new kit and they sometimes do things like remove badges, rewrap, cover in shelf paper... 30 - 40 years is a long time to see into the future.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Ok, thanks for reply.

But the damage on the drum, is it bad?

You can see them in link nr. 2.

Posted on 16 years ago

Funny, I just read today in Rob Cooks' the Ludwig Book " A few drums were produced after Ludwig ran out of the brass keystone but before they received the badge that replaced it, the "blue and olive" badge below. These drums were fitted with the grommet only; no badge at all"

This around the same time they were starting to use the granitone paint.

Does'nt look like the damage is anything major.

Nice drums.

Posted on 16 years ago

So wich year was the "no-badge-time"?

Posted on 16 years ago

Maybe '68-'69.

Page 176. Excellent reference for Ludwigs.

Posted on 16 years ago

Is this the kit that's been on Vendolin in Sweden?

D

Posted on 16 years ago

The blue olive badge appeared around Oct 1969. On that note the finish on your drums was'nt in a catalog until 1973. I saw a 1966 Chapagne set once that had no badges. The guy said that a previous owner had taken them off. I don't have any idea how he did it without destroying the grommet. I would guess your set was maybe a 1973-74 area.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here