Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Is this a bad thing?

Hi Guy's

Last night I purchased a Beautiful vintage Ludwig kit. I basically got it at such a good price $300 that I didn't ask any questions I just bought it and took it home. I really haven't had a chance to look at it very well because I got home so late last night. But anyway, here is what I did see. The kit, so far looks to be in Near Mint condition. It is a blue sparkle finish, the wrap is tight with no problems. It came with Zildjian HH, Ride & Crash, stands, Ludwig Speedmaster bass pedal, and stool. The bass drum had an exterior mounted big round muffler. Also, has the cymbal arm holder, tom tool, cases, etc..Also has the original heads top and bottom that looks like they have hardly been played.

The matching snare drum is dated Jan 1961 (white interior) No seriial on badge, Round knog & Muffler.

The floor Tom is dated Feb. 1961 (white interior), no serial on badge, Round knob & Muffler.

The tom is dated Jan 1963 Red ink (white interior), no serial on badge, Baseball Bat & square Muffler.

The bass drum has the Trasition badge on it. The inside is not painted. It is a dark wood with light color reinforcement rings. There is a date stamp but I can't read it clearly Dec 18, 196?

My guestion is this, Is it a bad thing that the tom is a 1963 instead of a 1961 or that the bass drum has a different type badge and not painted? Is this drum kit a collectors item since the pieces don't match? The drums were purchased from the original owner that said he bought the kit complete. Can this be true? Thanks...

Posted on 15 years ago

No,

That's a GOOD thing. Your kit is a "transitional" kit where it was common to see different badges and dates on factory matched drums...

Nice score!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, for $300 you can't go wrong!!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

From your description, it sounds like your bass drum has a mahogany interior ply - those were the greatest-sounding bass drums, man - worth $300.00 just for that drum alone.

What sizes are they, prostix...?

Posted on 15 years ago

From O-Lugs

Yeah, for $300 you can't go wrong!!

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yup.

For $300 almost ANY vintage kit in good shape CANNOT be a bad thing...on top of which, yours are Luddies.

pretty amazing...don't worry about some non-sequential badges.dates.

What a score, dude !

Post pics ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

SCORE!! congrats. That is an interesting bunch of badges and hardware... I don't know that the mix makes it anymore collectible based on a claim that it was purchased together in the 60's.

Anything with Keystones is collectible and the drum wraps all match including the snare so wow... you did great!

Yeah... get some pics up.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

I'd really like to see some pictures.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Pics man! Let's see this gorgeous kit...

Kelly

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here