Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

is the dynasonic throw the original throw

hey folks, got a dynasonic 7 line with beavertail lugs..now I got a picture from tommyp of his 1965 which he said should look like mine..the throw on mine I believe is the clockface throw which has the backing plate for securing the snare strings on the back and not on the front of the throw like shown on his pictures..was there a time when they may have been putting on a either throw which would result in what I am seeing or is this throw a replacement..

1965 slingerland Solo-Pink Champagne
1966-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1974-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1964-Slingerland RadioKing Chrome Snare
Posted on 14 years ago

The earlier 7 line dynas had the clockface throw offs and the later ones had a swivo throwoff. I would guess that yours would be one of the earlier. You might post your serial number. Do you have a "D" stamped on the post just below the tension knob on your strainer? That would also indicate that the strainer was for a dynasonic.

Posted on 14 years ago

there is no "D" on the post..there is some other marking...TommyP estimated the date of 1966 based on the serial number..

1965 slingerland Solo-Pink Champagne
1966-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1974-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1964-Slingerland RadioKing Chrome Snare
Posted on 14 years ago

kjklives2ride...

I want to mention again that the serial number dating of a Dynasonic is a "close approx." as it was never an EXACT way to date these drums. It does get one close, and in some cases is pretty accurate. All that said though, there are differences with these drums with regard to hardware/year... meaning ... the earlier "Clockface" strainer was in place on Dynasonics up until approx. 1967 when Rogers changed over to the elongated Swivo strainer. Your drum being approx. a 1966, would "normally" have the earlier "Clockface" strainer, and I doubt that it has been changed out. Also, the earlier "Clockface" strainers DO NOT have the "D" stamped on them, whereas the later Swivo strainers do. I have a beautiful 1964 COB/7 line Dynasonic with the early "Clockface" strainer, and again, it does not have the stamped "D"... that happened later with the elongated Swivo style. So,

Sounds like your drum is a case where the "dating" wasn't quite accurate, especially going on the hardware that is on the drum, which I believe is original. Do you have a pic or two to post... that would help answer some questions!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

From Tommyp

kjklives2ride..... Also, the earlier "Clockface" strainers DO NOT have the "D" stamped on them, whereas the later Swivo strainers do. I have a beautiful 1964 COB/7 line Dynasonic with the early "Clockface" strainer, and again, it does not have the stamped "D"... that happened later with the elongated Swivo style. So,Sounds like your drum is a case where the "dating" wasn't quite accurate, especially going on the hardware that is on the drum, which I believe is original. Do you have a pic or two to post... that would help answer some questions!Tommyp

I agree with Tommy that the dyna serial number guide is only an approximation and without photos and the serial, it is hard to speculate. I have a couple of 7 liners with later numbers and both have swivo strainers. I haven't been able to pinpoint when the switch from clockface to swivo took place. Perhaps around the 7000 range?

It is my understanding that the slot in the plate inside the dyna t.o. is slightly different from the other clockface and swivo strainers (used on Holidays and Powertones) and hence the "D" stamp. I have three different dynas with clockface strainers and all three have the "D" stamped on the post. The earlier Dyna Clockface posts with the "D" are more rounded. The later Clockface's have a flat face on the post.

The first is the early flat side Gretsch shell with paper tag which would be one of the first and predates the oval dyna badge.

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/Luxor65/DynaClockface004.jpg[/IMG]

Next up is silver sparkle #3xxx

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/Luxor65/DynaClockface001.jpg[/IMG]

And last is WMP #4xxx

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/Luxor65/DynaClockface002.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

Powertone!...

Well you got me thinkin'... so ... I uncased my earliest COB/7 line Dynasonic, which is actually a 1963, and had a look at the "Clockface" strainer. DOH!... it does indeed have a "D"... but! ... it doesn't look like yours, this is more "cut into" then stamped, thus I never really looked at it as being a "D"... but it is. I will have to grab a pic or two and post it up as you would want to see this. It is completely original though. It's a BEAUTIFUL drum, and amazingly, none of the B&B's are cracked. I don't play it though as I gig on my 1967 WMP Dynasonic just about 100% of the time! ( which can be seen in my avatar pic )

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here