Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Is Novus polish safe on old sparkle wraps?

I have an old 60's Ludwig gold sparkle drum set. The gold sparkle is in pretty good shape with minimal fading. I would rate it at 7/10. I would like to know if Novus Plastic Polish is safe enough to use on my drums to remove a couple of light scratches and bring out the shine? Thanks!

Ludwig Dude

Posted on 17 years ago

I have not used Novus polish but I use goof off to clean off the hardest to get to glue stains, and even for gentel polishing. Its strong stuff, but gentle enough to use on old sparkle wraps. It wreaks and it may seem scary to use high caliber stuff on an old sparkle wrap, but trust me, its a gentle giant. Its really a drum restorers best friend, next to a belt sander and a chrome plating kit.

-Matt Kinel

Posted on 17 years ago

Recently I aquired a 14x14 Rogers Flat Gray Dayton in Blue Glass Glitter, original. And well worth the money. CHEAP, considering. Serial number about 1965. Serial Range within 100 of my Dayton/Cleveland kit, finish match and relative fade are perfect. Miraculous considering I bought the kit from a guy in Cincy and the 14 from a guy in San Jose. Floor tom came with sta tight mounts, which Ive removed and replaced with machined cleveland era swivo mounts. Problem with the sta tights was that one of them was allowed to wobble loose, and eventually allowed to spin around on the wrap for God knows how long. Leaving a scar consisting of several moderately deep sweeping scratches in the surface, and three small gouges, ......

I used the Novus 3 on the big scratches to smooth them out, and then went to the Novus 2, back to the Novus 3, back to the 2 and finally finished with the 1. Results were very favorable, with the most of the scar nearly gone completely, and the worst of the scratches evened out with the finish. It works. It takes some time and patience. Just follow the directions, Take your time, you will get more done. There was no staining or fade to the wrap as a result of the Novus. Its a great product.

First time I used it was on a mid 70s Rogers drum I bought from ebay, as a test project before putting on my wrap of the same color.

I do not know how this would work with WMP or a satin flame or an onyx.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Hi,

I've used GOO GONE to remove unwanted imperfections and stains on sparkle and lacquer finishes. It doesn't have the awful smell of GOOF OFF, but is just as effective. I then shine the finish with a good coat of good old-fashioned car wax. Turtle Wax is my favorite. It gives a great shine!

OldSchool

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here