Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

is my zoomatic strainer fixable?

I've been having problems getting my slingerland zoomatic strainer to give me the proper response on my aluminum slingerland snare, and when i noticed that the nut holding the strainer screw inside the drum was loose, i removed the snare head and tightened it. I tried to get it as tight as possible, thinking this would fix the problem, but what happened was I tightened it too much and the knob came off. Now I can't seem to get the knob to stay on. It was the original pre-1985 knob on a multi-hole slider zoomatic. Any ideas how I can fix this? The knob slides on but comes off with a reasonable amount of pressure. I can take pictures if someone needs to see them to help me with this problem. Any help is greatly appreaciated, I really need this snare ready for gigs coming up!

Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome!!

Perhaps this will help... it is linked under "Restoration and Help on this site.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/zoomatic_strainer_repair.html

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

This does not help. It is about adding a spring to the zoomatic to get it to hold more tension, which I may do in the future if I can get my knob to stay on to maintain that tension.

I've been looking around the internet and from what I've read once the knobs are off there's no easy way to fix them and I basically need to buy a new zoomatic. Is ebay the only place to find them? Does anyone have experience fixing the knobs on zoomatic strainers?

Posted on 14 years ago

From automata

This does not help. It is about adding a spring to the zoomatic to get it to hold more tension, which I may do in the future if I can get my knob to stay on to maintain that tension. I've been looking around the internet and from what I've read once the knobs are off there's no easy way to fix them and I basically need to buy a new zoomatic. Is ebay the only place to find them? Does anyone have experience fixing the knobs on zoomatic strainers?

Post some pics of what you have now,,if the knob is off the shaft just push it back on?? post the pics and show us!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I'll post some pics later today when I can grab a camera. I can't push the knob back on because it's not secure. It fits on but comes off with a reasonable amount of pressure, and I don't want it coming off in the middle of a show! I could superglue it or something but I then I'll never be able to the strainer apart if I need to. Any ideas?

Posted on 14 years ago

[QUOTE=automata;61214]I'll post some pics later today when I can grab a camera. I can't push the knob back on because it's not secure. It fits on but comes off with a reasonable amount of pressure, and I don't want it coming off in the middle of a show! I could superglue it or something but I then I'll never be able to the strainer apart if I need to. Any ideas?[/QUOTE post the pics and we will go from there

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

This comes up every so often, and I believe your choices are to get a replacement, or send yours to JP2 Creations for repair. Jim Petty does great work, but can take quite a length of time to fill your order. That's the word from others around here anyway.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

automata,

I recently repaired my Zoomatic which had the same problem. The fix is simple...

Go to your local plumbing department in a Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Ask for Plumbers teflon tape. This tape is white and very thin. Wrap the end of the shaft where the knob fits on with about 3-4 revolutions of the tape. Then push the knob back on the shaft and tap the knob lightly with a rubber hammer or place a thick cloth over the knob and tap with a regular hammer. The knob will be very tight and not come off. flowers2

Cheers!

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, I spoke with Jim Petty this morning and I may go with a replacement instead because of time factors. Has anyone had success just sticking their knobs back on? It seems like it might be stable enough, but I don't want to risk it if it'll come apart during a performance. Has anyone taken their zoomatic knob off and simply put it back on?

Posted on 14 years ago

From kellyj

automata,I recently repaired my Zoomatic which had the same problem. The fix is simple...Go to your local plumbing department in a Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Ask for Plumbers teflon tape. This tape is white and very thin. Wrap the end of the shaft where the knob fits on with about 3-4 revolutions of the tape. Then push the knob back on the shaft and tap the knob lightly with a rubber hammer or place a thick cloth over the knob and tap with a regular hammer. The knob will be very tight and not come off. flowers2Cheers!-kellyj

+ one!!! this is the direction i was heading also!!!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here