Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

is it too expensive?? a slingerland snare drum in tokyo....

i went to a drum store in tokyo shibuya few days ago...

i tried one slingerland snare drum and i love it very much....

but the price is about $2250 dollars!!!

i just wonder is it too expensive?????

here is the link http://myurl.com.tw/ueh1

it's called Slingerland 1970?s Chrome Over Brass 14?6.5

please help me find the answer !!!

thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes it seems wildly expensive no matter what it is. But this is timely - I am in Tokyo in about three weeks time. Does anyone know any vintage drums shops (apart from this one, obviously) that are worth visiting?

Cheers,

David

Posted on 16 years ago

You can buy one of these on ebay US for a maximum of $200, and maybe have to pay $150 to ship to Japan. So, yes, that's pretty expensive. I just shipped one to France that was missing the knob from the Zoomatic strainer for $125...

Herb

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Yes it seems wildly expensive no matter what it is. But this is timely - I am in Tokyo in about three weeks time. Does anyone know any vintage drums shops (apart from this one, obviously) that are worth visiting? Cheers,David

Oh - it seems like your better option is to try to pack a vintage snare or two with you to sell while you are there!

Herb

Posted on 16 years ago

It did occur to me take something with me. I do the opposite when I visit the US (particularly now) - I buy a Supra or two and sell them again in Europe.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

thanks for all your replys!

so I think i should give up that snare drum...it's too expensive...

but to buy snare drum on EBAY is a little bit too dangerous....

i am also wondering where i can buy snare in great condition and the price is

fair in tokyo , shibuya

ishibashi maybe is a good choice....?

thanks again!

Posted on 16 years ago

Just sharing an opinion here...

I am pretty much a novice regarding vintage drums but I have made many purchases on ebay based on the sellers description and doing a "little" research on my own... which has included asking the opinions of the very knowledgeable people on this forum.

I have never been disappointed in anything I have purchased on ebay.

If you find a drum you like on ebay, post the item number out here and ask what people think of it...

You will get very good and honest advice regarding the drum you are looking at.

Or... somebody on the forum may say.. "I have one just like that that I will sell you!" That situation worked out very nicely for me regarding 60's COB snare I really wanted.

Best of luck...

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

"to buy snare drum on EBAY is a little bit too dangerous...."

Not really dangerous at all - avoid deals that seem "to good to be true" (because they probably are) and deal only with sellers with 100% or close to 100% feedback who take PayPal and who are prepared to ship internationally (this last point is the toughest - despite the fact that the big money for vintage drums is outside the US, many sellers choose not to ship outside the US - though the weak dollar is fasting changing that attitude, I think).

Like you, I don't live in the US and have had one problem out of about 20 purchases and even that problem got fixed to everyone's satisfaction after some backwards and forwards emailing.

Even paying for expensive shipping and what I can guess are probably outrageous Japanese import duties you'll probably get exactly what you want way under what you will be paying in Japan.

I picked up a very nice 6 1/2" deep Ludwig keystone supraphonic (which even I though was expensive - it was my birthday) and then paid all the outrageous duties - and went to a local vintage store to see a similar drum (the only one I've actually seen up here) going for a 50% higher price.

But I'm still interested to get a name or two of vintage shops in Tokyo - just to look (and be shocked).

Cheers,

David

Posted on 16 years ago

hello everyone!! ~ I,m back~

I went to shinjyuku few days ago,i found a good vintage drum shop near

JR shin-okubo. station

it's called" the 中古樂器行" (sorry , i don't know how to say it in japanese.....)

it has so many vintage drums!!! from ludwig,slingerland,pearl,gretsch to rogers, from 20's ~ 80"!

it's the best shop i ever seen for vintage drums!

but i don't know the price is fair or not....

let me explain more clear :

you can take JR and then drop off at the shin-okubo station

go through the west exit , and the" 中古樂器行 ? is at the first lane

i hope it's helpful to you .

thanks for everyone!

ps, i saw steve gadd performed with THE CRUSADERS at the blue note tokyo

last night.This is the first time i saw him play ,it's totally is great experience.

maybe everyone here saw him play before,but i still want to share how shock i am with you. It's amazing!!!

I'll go back to taiwan tomorrow, tokyo give me a lot of good memory, i'll miss it!

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the shop.

Sounds like Gadd was a blast. Never seen him myself.

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here