Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Interior Shells On Rogers Eagle Badge Snare Drums

I'm trying to determine whether the Rogers Drum Company EVER painted the interior of its snare drum shells black during the Rogers Eagle Badge era.

I've never seen them come this way from the factory, but I've got a few acquaintances why swear that they did.

As usual, all feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!Yes Sir

Posted on 16 years ago

Affirmative. Changed in the late 50s.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

PLOUGHMAN:

Thanks for the feedback.

You're telling me that some of the Eagle-badged Rogers snare drums DID come from the factory with black interior shells?

Please confirm.

Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago
Posted on 16 years ago

Gary N:

I'm certainly not questioning the Ploughman. He's been a great source of information for me throughout the years and I certainly do appreciate it.

However, how can one tell if the interior shell came painted from the factory or whether one of the prior owners did it himself?

I couldn't find any mention of "painted" interior shells in any of the Rogers catalogs that I've reviewed.

THANKS for the feedback!

Posted on 16 years ago

didn't mean to sound punchy...

Tough to "know" for sure. I would compare the interior with other drums from that era. If the paint stops and starts near the edges the same then that is a good sign. But that isn't a fool proof way. Also if a drum has been re painted the interior paper tag might look different. Check the edges. I've heard of people steaming off the tags to re paint. Even masking around it and not removing it. That slopped on wash look from the glue Rogers used to hold the interior paper is key. If it looks too perfect then it isn't a factory Rogers interior from the 1950s. But that is not always true. Some crude stuff came out of that barn in Covington, OH. Hope this helps. Simply post a pic if you are ever questioning an interior. We will chime in with an eagle eyed view.

I've seen clear coated interiors as well as black, grey or white interiors on eagle badged Rogers drums. All factory!

Peace, Gary

Posted on 16 years ago

red interiors also on some Scotti Plaid eagle badge Rogers drums.

Posted on 16 years ago

Gary N.:

THANKS for the feedback and the additional information that you provided. I learn more everyday on this forum, which is great!

I was aware of the red interior shells on the Scotch Plaid Finish snare drum, but not aware of any factory-painted black interior shells.

In your first reply to my post, you provided a link to a drum currently being offered on E-Bay. Can you tell by that pic whether the shell was factory-painted or painted by a former or current owner?

THANKS AGAIN for all the help!

Posted on 16 years ago

You are very welcome. Yes that auction drum has a correct factory black painted interior. Complete with sloshed/brushed on glue for the interior paper tag.

Yes people did all sorts of strange things over the years with shelac and interior paint esp in the 70s. Open ended tom era. The fakes usually come into play on a higher end snare such as a clear coated Dyna. I doubt someone would go to much trouble, time/expense, to re paint a couple of hundred dollar eagle badge drum.

The white interior was found on a red/white duco interior. They might of sprayed the whole thing white primer first as a base coat inside and out. The clear coat and red was found on a Scotti Plaid. The black interior was like Rogers standard in the mid 1950s like we know the grey as late 1950s into the 60s. Grey changed over the years as well. First it was flat and then in the early 60s we have seen a number of gloss grey. Later 60s they had the speckled interior. Peace, Gary

Posted on 16 years ago

Gary N.:

THANKS AGAIN for all the useful information. I've got a late 50s - early 60s Eagle-Badged Rogers WMP kit, exclusive of the snare drum. That's the main reason for my inquiries. Appreciate your help!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here