Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Interesting Rogers Bass Mounts

Wayne Brown has previously displayed his supersized '67 Rogers champagne sparkle kit here at the forum. Within that grouping, he has a bass drum that is quite interesting in that it has twin swivomatic mounts at the top, positioned as normal for either the Headliner or Citadel models right between the upper lugs, but duplicated on each side of the bass.

Do any of you guys have a bass like this in your arsenal or have you seen this configuration before?

It has occurred to us that it would have been an ideal setup to offer in that it can be employed for either left or right-handed players, and if Rogers had introduced the double script on toms a bit earlier, could have been a great offering and allowed the Rogers emblem to be displayed regardless of which way it was set up. One could use a cymbal rod, extension tilter and regular tilter to position a ride cymbal on the side opposite the tom.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

That could have easily been done as a special request from the dealer to the factory, or the dealer might have added it himself after the drum arrived at their store. There are a lot of non-stock layouts out there, specail requests either done by the company or by the dealer.

And there's also been 50 years for folks to modify them on their own (unfortunately)...

Posted on 9 years ago

You're absolutely right about the "non-stock" layouts, Dan! I've seen a lot of non-catalog configurations that I couldn't determine if they were done at the factory as custom orders, done by the retailer by customer request, or done by the one of the many owners over the course of the decades. Even closely examining the collet holes on these suspected "mods" doesn't help, as some are just as clean and professional as factory-drilled holes. Here's an example I currently have; a Cleveland 22" with an interesting configuration that appears factory-original:

[Attachment: 77554]

And as long as we're on the subject of collet layouts, does anyone have a pic of an original Cozy Cole bass? I'm trying to figure out what the collet configuartion must have been to mount a snare, tom, and three cymbals onto one bass....

[Attachment: 77555]

Thanks both Dans for your Rogers insight.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 9 years ago

Mike, on the Cozy tip...I found an alternate shot of his set up. It can be seen on the inside cover of the 1960 catalog and shown below in full on a Grossman mailer-hence the line in the middle(folded). He must of had multiple kits being a Rogers endorser. On this one note the 2 way low mounted knobby on the floor tom and stand for the snare. Also sports the other short lived script logo.

The photo you posted could of had 2 mounts on the left for the snare and 1 cymbal, then 2 mounts up top(batter side and front), then on the right one for the 3rd cymbal. I think the second tom was mounted off the floor tom in that pic. I could not find any pic from the front of the set to tell for sure. In these days of Rogers they were Swivo happy(proud of the invention) and placed many mounts on the top and left/right top panels. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse further.

1 attachments
64.7 kB
Posted on 9 years ago

First off,thanks to Dan Boucher for posting this very interesting question.One thing for sure is that my bass drum with two individual swivo tom mounts were never modified and certainly not done from the dealer,as i`m the original owner.And as Dan C has stated...this was likely a special request from "the dealer to the factory" but upon my request to have them positioned for my lefty style.And as Gary N has said Rogers were "swivo happy" in those days and would advertise the diversity in positions of those mounts at any given opportunity.But odd that most of the twin tom Rogers mounts of that era were single post in center of the bass.I`m guessing that Rogers were confident enough in "swivo" to lay it out in any configuration.Thanks again Dan Boucher for putting this out in the open for Rogers fans to conclude.

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 9 years ago

mchair303: One thing is clear in your photo, and that is that someone has had to replace the hoops, rods and claws on that Cleveland bass. But the rest sure looks good regardless of how it got there. Its got a place for the tom, the ride cymbal, the spash and the cowbell! Perfect.

(Also, I'm coveting that angled hex rod you have on the rear knobby. Excited)

Posted on 9 years ago

I saw this drum at the Chicago show several years ago. I had to take a pic. Creative drilling!

Dave

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Could have been my very first vintage kit, which was a Rogers 20,13,16 WMP with a host of mounts on the bass. I think this kit is the same sizes. As I recall, mine had all you show in this picture and maybe one off the the drummers right as well for a ride cymbal. It must have been a Celebrity made into a Londoner with the added rear mount for the cowbell. I had no idea at the time there was an issue, but I wish I could see it again to study it a bit. I also wish my mind was still a virgin in that regard. Sometimes I laugh at the abhorance of added mounts. It was easier back in that day because even Ringo could drill holes in his now priceless Downbeat kit. Ever notice how few guys drill a Swivomatic onto their "Ringo" kits?

Didn't someone have a thread about being anal about various aspects of our drums? Well, we sure are anal about added holes even though they are a part of the drum's history. In any event, yours and this one look great still and I bet they sound that way too.

Posted on 9 years ago

When I ordered my Rogers drum set in 1961, I specified where I wanted the Swivo mounts located on the 20" bass drum of the four piece Holiday set. I had the Swivo mount for the 8x12 tom to the left of center and slightly forward of the center of the bass drum to place the tom where a rail mount would position the tom for a right handed drummer. The Swivo mount for my snare drum was closer to the batter side so that the snare drum was positioned directly in front of the 8x12 tom when I was seated behind the drums. I had a swivo mount with a disappearing cymbal rod with tilter top as far to the right of center as the tom mount was to the left of center. The cymbal mount was in a straight line with the tom mount. Note the tilt of the 8x12 tom. The top rim of the tom and the batter head rim of the snare drum were about an inch away from each other.

1 attachments
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 9 years ago

From Dan Boucher

mchair303: One thing is clear in your photo, and that is that someone has had to replace the hoops, rods and claws on that Cleveland bass. But the rest sure looks good regardless of how it got there. Its got a place for the tom, the ride cymbal, the spash and the cowbell! Perfect. (Also, I'm coveting that angled hex rod you have on the rear knobby. Excited)

Dan,

Good eye on that non-Cleveland hardware. I acquired the shell missing the heads, hoops, claws, and rods, so I slapped on misc. Fullerton rods and Big R hoops (note they're silver) just to get it playable until I can find the "faucets". Also note the Tama "Rogers-style" claws on the batter side. The coveted hex L-arm was part number 60-2360-052 in the catalog:

[Attachment: 77649]

Although this short arm could have had a wide variety of uses, the only Rogers picture I've ever seen of it in use was on a cocktail drum, mounting a snare (with collet) directly onto one of the many Knobbies on the cocktail drum.

I'm loving this Swivo conversation here.

Mike

1 attachments
-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here