Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Interesting... maybe it's already out here.

Ok I give up it won't play in the forum.. but if you google "rogers drum comparison".. it will be the first link.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Awesome video Jim!!!!!!!!!! Oddly enough I liked the sound of the Tower set better than the other two. It sounded more open and was a little bit more resonant than the other 2 kits, especially the snare. But what the hell do I know!!!!!!!!!!! Just my 2 cents.

Posted on 15 years ago

Cool - I saw this once before. After listening again, I think I like the 1st kit best (Blue Onyx). The kick on that kit sounds HUGE!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah BigD you are right that 22" kick is really singing. That difference between the kits is (as you said) HUGE!

My capabilities probably fit the quiet little 20" better. When your chops are still a little (or a lot) rare... better to cook on lower heat. :)

Shepfu I passed on a silver Luxor that was sitting in a Music-go-round a month ago.. I picked it up, looked it over, thought to myself "just buy it!" but I never put a stick to it... that was a bonehead move by me... that 6 lug Luxor snare sounds great. I am hooked on my little Tower kit so I am biased and will have to abstain from a vote.

Posted on 15 years ago

To my ears, the sound of the toms, from kit to kit, were more subtle than the snares and kicks. Loved the toms on all 3 kits - They sound full and round. I think I also like the sound of the first kit's snare just a bit more than the others, but to be fair, they should have damped the other 2 snares as they did the first one.

I like a small amount of ring in a snare and I thought the 2nd and 3rd kits snares were just a tad too open for my taste. Easy enough to fix though.

In the proper context however, a more open snare sounds great.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

That was a real cool video, very professional with an eye for detail that is missing from most stuff on the web. I would like to see more videos from this company. Now, my 2 cents...

The Blue Onyx kit seemed brighter, the sound cuts better. I liked the snare on this kit the best. The toms were perfect and the 22inch kick was powerful. My Rogers kit is a 13/16/22, and I love her, but, the 12,14,16 sizes on this kit is making me consider another drum purchase.

The Gold Tower...I was very surprised by the sound of this kit. I do not like single lug kits, but, this one had a very professional sound. I actually liked the Luxor snare a close second to the blue onyx snare. This kit had a smaller bass drum, and the miking was on the outside of the bass drum. (I believe all three kits had this set up) I think the advantage of the smaller bass drum is to get a "punchy" sound, and it's harder to do that with this mic set up. I am not being critical of the makers of this video, all 3 kits had this set up. I would like to hear this bass drum (and the third kits' bass drum) with a mic inserted through a bass drum port.

Black bread and butter kit- I know it had a wood dynasonic snare, but, I liked this snare the least out of the three. I did, however, like the toms and bass drum better than the Gold Tower kit.

Kits-1. Blue Onyx 2. Black B+B 3. Gold Tower

Snares 1. Blue Onyx 2. Gold Luxor 3. Black Dynasonic

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Super B if you're willing to say it... I guess I can find the courage to say it to... I liked the Luxor better than the wood Dyna in this little take as well. I will confess I was chicken to say that.:o Ploughman, Tommyp, Roger... forgive me but i just think it sounded a little better on this video.

But Shepfu I'm with you... what the heck do I know..Cooked Egg

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here