Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Installing a Drum Badge on a Ludwig Drum

Hi , Im restoring an old ludwig kit from the 70\'s . My question is how do I re-fit the Badge with a new eyelet in a professional manner .

Is there a video on a website to show how this is done ? Thank You

Posted on 19 years ago

I get this question a lot and there are a variety of methods. It also depends on the type of Grommet.

Here is a link to an Ebay auction for the tool. I have never used it so I do not know how it works. Click Here

Other methods include a

1. Metal ball and a hammer.

2. A punch and a hammer

3. Epoxy

4. Cutting and folding the grommet back.

Some of it is discussed on this project I did for Precision Drum.

The methods not discussed in the article # 2 and 4 are this.

2. With the badge on the drum and the grommet in place take a punch and place it on the grommet towards the side of the shell and with a hammer hit it so it punches out a small indentation into the shell. Do this around the grommet interior in four different spots. (Be careful!)

4. Take a dremmel tool and cut down the grommet into 1/4's. Basically two cuts then put the badge and grommet on the drum and hammer the grommet flaps back to the shell. (Not the best method, but holds tight)

With all of the methods make sure the drum is on a flat clean surface and in many cases two people make the job easier to hold and support the drum.

If none of that works then find a professional in your area and they will probably do it for a small fee.

I'm sure others on the board have good methods and we will see what else is said.

Hope that helps.

Here is another tool and seller in the USA

David

Posted on 19 years ago

Top tips.

And Gerd knows his stuff.

http://www.stdrums.de/tips/ftips.htm

He also has video footage on the site of a complete drum renovation.

:)

www.drumarchive.com
www.mikedolbear.com
Posted on 19 years ago

Liquid Len ([EMAIL=len@classicdrums.com]len@classicdrums.com[/EMAIL] ) also sells a handy grommet installation tool

Andy

andyyouell.com vistalites.com asbadrums.com drumarchive.com ukdrumfair.com
Posted on 19 years ago
Action Another action Something else here