Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Inlay question

I ordered some 3/4" inlay for some 50's Gretsch 22" hoops. The inlay I took out I measured (wrong I now know) to be 3/4". The nice inlay arrived today and I popped it in to see how it would look and fit. It's about 1/32" too narrow. The new inlay is exactly 3/4" as it should be. I measured it against the original strip I took out and sure enough.....the strips are just shy of 1 13/16" more than 1 25/32" but not quite 1 26/32".

Now I have no experience with this and I was thinking I'll just use the 3/4" strips and the cadillac green paint will just overlap the gooves a little. No, I think that would look aweful probably....what do you think?

I emailed PrecissionDrum a few minutes ago to see if they could custom cut me some more inlay at just a hair under 1 26/32" I'll see what they say.

If anyone here has been through this and come up with a good fix please let me know.

Gary

Posted on 12 years ago

Are you sure that`s not expansion room ?? 1/32" split between two edges is quite small !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

If you want flush joints there, you gonna have to bevel back the edges or it`ll pop out if it expands !!

Posted on 12 years ago

Did not know inlay expanded. It seems like a lot to expand. The inlay that was in there is definately wider..........flatted out (expanded) over the years??

I only had experience with my late 50's Gretsch 20" hoops a couple of years ago when I took the inlay out of a damaged hoop and popped it right into a hoop I bought on eBay. The inlay just popped right into place and stayed there. I did glue it however to make sure it stayed in place. I guess that inlay was already expanded.....it came with the kit when it was bought new in 1960.

Posted on 12 years ago

When you took out the old inlay, did you scrape and clean up the hoop recess ? Again, 1/32 is 1/64 on each edge !!

Posted on 12 years ago

Yes I did, but like I said - the old inlay I took out that I thought was 3/4" is actually a 32" wider than the new stuff. I just did not think it was at the time - I measured quick and though - yep...these are 3/4" and then placed the order. I'll keep them - they were cheap and you never know when they might come in handy. I do have a full sheet of this very same wrap I bought from PrecissionDrum a couple of years ago a didn't use it. I was going to wrap a 49 Gretsch Parade drum but in the end did not have the heart to do it.

From OddBall

When you took out the old inlay, did you scrape and clean up the hoop recess ? Again, 1/32 is 1/64 on each edge !!

Posted on 12 years ago

The numbers are too much to be an adjustment on the machine tolerences,..Maybe back in the 50`s they divided the with of the sheet to come up with the with of the recess numbers.

Lesson learned,...measure the inlay at several points before ordering !!

Just as a expirement, take a paint brush or cloth and wipe the hoop with water to get it wet and see if overnite it expands that little bit, but don`t let it dry too fast !!

Posted on 12 years ago

Gary - it's not the inlay that expands and contracts, it's the wood underneath it. If all you're dealing with is a gap of 32nds, center your strip in the channel and all you'll have is 'maybe' a 32nd or two on each side. No one, and I mean no one will ever notice. Depending on the weather up there in the Great White North, some days it'll fit in there just fine, other times you'll see the little 32nd gap. But only you will ever notice... because you're looking! Nobody will know. I think you're starting to fuss too much over minutia of detail. You need to make some allowance for a tiny bit of expansion and contraction in the hoop or the inlay will pop out on you.

Your dark secret will be safe with us! lol

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

You are probably right in saying no one will notice. I was looking at it from the point of view when it comes time to paint the hoops. The paint is a high-end automotive - Cadiallac Green.....or very close to it anyway. I did not want to paint the hoops under the inlay - I was thinking of putting the inlay on and taping it off for the painter. That's what I did for my other kit (keeping in mind I used the original inlay for that kit). The inlay sticks better without paint. So when I tape the inlay off the paint will come to the edges of the inlay.....into the 1/64th" gap on each side.........

because I'm centering the inlay:Snow Flake:. So in this regard maybe it's good the paint will go to the edge of the inlay....if it expands a little no biggie.

I'll leave it.

One more thing guys:

when I wrap the inlay around the hoop I have to put it on in two pieces of course because the inlay is not long enough - they gave me three strips...one is for cutting....do I leave a small gap at each end 1/32 or so at each cut end.....for expansion? I seem to recall someone saying the wrap will shrink a little too - is that right?.....I may want to leave only a 1/64th at each end.

I want to get this right so bear with me please. I don't want to cut and then find out I cut too much.......I hate it when that happens.

Posted on 12 years ago

Maybe you could tape off the bottom of the recess with painters blue and send it out, then take the tape off the hoop !!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here