Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Initial shell cleaning

I'm doing a much neeeded maintenance on my Ludwig Super Classics in BDP.

I am finishing up polishing the hardware, and am down to the the de-hardwared shell. I plan on using Turtle Wax to bring it back to life. But the question I have is - do you use anything on the finish to clean off 50 plus years of gunk and dust etc. before applying wax? If so, what?

Seems to me, much like a car,you want a clean surface before waxing. I'm just not sure what would be safe and effective.

Posted on 14 years ago

I use a damp cloth with a little soap in it. Not soaking because you don't want water getting into the wood, but wet enough to get the shell going toward clean. I use a number different things, and many are unorthodox and scare hell out of most people, but the truth is, I have yet to damage a shell by cleaning it.

I have a nifty little tool called a Sonic Scrubber Pro Detailer. I think I paid like 10 bucks for it somewhere. Looks like a toothbrush. Anyway, I sometimes put the large, soft head on it and spray 409 if the shell/wrap has a lot of nicotine and sticky residue from adult beverages, and just scrub away. Maybe I should post a video of this sequence to show how well it works. It sounds like I am a nut, but I am very meticulous, and I love my drums and my craft, so I take it very seriously. My craft is restoration of many things, as my Mom was an antique dealer and I grew up learning to clean and polish, tear down, put back, repair, replace and repaint all manner of stuff. I even use sandpaper to recut bearing edges. Poly and glitter makes old, junky MIJ and MIT drums (Made In Japan/Made In Twiwan) come back to life and sound great, and then I give them to deserving children. flower

Anyway, Stuff cleans drums, use it, I am an endorcer of fine, clean drums and hardware and the Stuff that cleans them, and I heartily invite you to try it out, you'll like it!Excited

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I just cleaned 50 yrs of grime of an old Slingerland shell and also used a damp cloth and little bit of dawn on it. Couldnt believe how a little elbow grease could do so much good. After the inital cleaning, i used the Novus products (numbers 1 and 2) for some shine...looks great!

Good luck and happy cleaning!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

James, had to laugh when I read your post. That's exactly what I just finished doing. Except I finished off with Turtle paste wax. I did test areas with Windex, 409, and Dawn. Dawn won! Bass drum looks great!

Floor tom next.....

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here