Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Information On Rogers Drums

A short time ago I asked for some advise regarding a 70s Rogers Butcher Block kit that I was considering purchasing. As usual, the response I received was fantastic and, based on the comments, recommendations, information and suggestions I received, I decided not to purchase that particular kit.

Since then I was fortunate enough to find a couple of vintage Rogers toms in a White Marine Pearl finish that I just purchased from a private owner.

I've asked the Webmaster if he could post a few pics of my "find" so that you can see what they look like.

Anyway............ I'm trying to find out what the "correct" hoops would be for these toms. Both toms are what I believe to be late 50s-early 60s Holiday models with the Cleveland tags on the interior of the shells. Both drums have the "bread and butter" lugs with, surprisingly, no cracks or breaks in them.

The floor tom's got the Rogers Eagle Badge while the rack tom's got the Rogers Script badge. Both have Swiv-O-Matic hardware on them, with the floor tom having four "Knobby" mounts for use as a type of cocktail kit with the addition of a snare, tom, cowbell and/or block and cymbal.

It's my understanding that the Rogers Drum Company utilized what was known as "tall hoops" during this time period, which measured 1 1/4 inches in length. Both toms that I just purchased do have the "tall hoops" on the bottom side rims. However, the batter side rims are somewhat smaller, measuring approximately 1 1/8 inches in length. The rim on the rack tom bends outward, while the one on the floor tom bends inward, similar to a Slingerland Stick-Saver hoop.

HERE'S MY QUESTIONS:

1. Is it possible that either of the batter side rims are original Rogers? If so, how could I tell?; and

2. Did the Rogers Drum Company use inner or outer (or both) bending rims on their drums during this time period?

As usual, THANKS in advance for your help!

3 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

First of all, nice drums!

Rims from that era are what is refered to as tall boys or stick choppers. Your drums should have the tall rims and you're right on with the dimension of 1 1/4". You can usually tell Rogers rims by looking at the shoulder where the tension rod rests on the rim. It is noticeably narrower than most other rims. Rogers never did an inward facing top flange. I see also that some of the t rods are period correct as they are square cut and some of them are not period correct as they have the little "blip" right at the shoulder of the rod.

Are both drums Eagle Badge? That would indicate late fifties. I would love to get a look at the interiors and the paper tags.

Hope this helps.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 16 years ago

Sorry to hijack the post but, regarding the square cut Rogers tension rods, when did they stop making these? I just want to make sure my 7 line Dyna (1964 approx) has the correct tension rods, I have a mixture of square cut and the ones with the little ?blips?. Is 1 1/2? (under collar to end of thread) correct for Dyna-sonics? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Posted on 16 years ago

They stopped making them in 64 I believe. I have a 63 7 line #2892 that I purchased new in 64. What is the serial number? It should have the square cut T's and tall rims. This what the square cut T's and tall rims look like.

[IMG]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150/musicbybj/Teerods.jpg[/IMG]

Jack

Posted on 16 years ago

musicbybj (Jack):

I just took some pics of the interior of the shells and the Rogers labels. If you could provide your email I'll send them out to you.

THANKS!Keep on Pl

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

musicbybj (Jack):I just took some pics of the interior of the shells and the Rogers labels. If you could provide your email I'll send them out to you.THANKS!Keep on Pl

I will pm my email address.

Jack

Posted on 16 years ago

Got the email. The floor tom with the Eagle badge is probably 1959.

The rack tom with the script badge is 1963 so they weren't part of an original set.

They're very nice looking drums and appear to be in great condition. As far as value goes it's hard to say right now with the ecconomy the way it is. WMP is a sought after finish. WMP=white marine pearl. B&B lugs aren't very popular because of cracking and breaking problems but yours appear to be in good shape as far as I can tell. I've seen single drums go for $40 to $500. I bought an 8x12 red sparkle in almost mint condition for $37+shipping. Sorry I couldn't pin it down further. Keep an eye on ebay as to what the market is getting. Not asking price but sold price.

Sorry, but not much help on value.

Jack

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here