Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Info Sonor 1960's Kit

I have an old kit that it in pretty good shape. It looks like it is nearly all original. I have opened a photobucket account and posted some pics.

http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/canadish/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. It came with an old cymbal with standard pressed into it. It is not in very good shape, and I am not sure what it is. The Hi-hats are [I]pearl, no idea what age these are.

The kit looks great with it's two tone finish. The finish is cracking, and is pronounced around the kick drum legs.

The badges read,

Musikhaus J.Goldfuss

Schwandorf/Bay

Breite Str. 13

Presumably this is the address of the store that sold it?

All the skins are plastic with the sonor beaters on top and bottom.

Snare skin is Evans all weather, top. Sonor plastic, bottom.

Tom Tom has six lugs top and bottom, offset.

Kick drum has six also.

The snare drum has eight each side, offset.

The stands have rounded rubber stoppers, and the pedals are black plastic.

Many thanks, Canadish

[/I][/I]

Sonor Teardrop
Yamaha stage custom
13" K light hats
17" K custom hybrid crash
17" Istanbul pre-split dark crash
17" Istanbul pre-split medium crash
20" Matt Bettis ride
20" Istanbul Pasha ride
12" splash
Posted on 15 years ago

That two tone finish is what seems to be a faded greenish sparkle.

Cool looking set.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

And I'm sure that's the name of the shop that originally sold them. I love Sonors of that period.

Posted on 15 years ago

im sure he'll be able to help you

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=8820

hit hard
Posted on 15 years ago

These are some sweet sweet drums, I too have a set in red pearl finish and I love them. Very well built, very solid sound and to me, very unique look. As practical info, you could take the heads off and look inside the shell where you should find a 3 digit stamp: 1st is the year and the last two are the month (eg. 511 = November 1965). The shells should be beech, 3 ply if they have reinforcement rings or 6ply if not (hope I got this right). I guess that 'pancake' snare is quite a rarity. Have a nice time with them!

P.s. I just love those flat-based hi=hat stands, very smooth if in good condition.

Posted on 15 years ago

I'm pretty sure the "Standard" cymbal was made by Paiste, they used to have a series called "Ludwig Standard" which were distributed with Ludwig kits somewhere btwn 1950-1970. And then, you have the "Trade Mark" stamp together with the half moon and star which you also find on Paiste's 2002 line.

Posted on 15 years ago

The original wrap may be silver sparkle. It looks very similar to one I have been restoring. take a look under a rim or lug and you will see for sure.

The kit was marketed as the "New Orleans" setup (without the floor tom). The pancake snare and simple sliding action snare stand are from the early 60's so I'm guessing this kit is from that era and has the 3 ply beech with re-rings.

Agree with flix that the Standard is a Paiste from the early 60's. Nickel Silver alloy I think. You don't see these around much.

Posted on 15 years ago

can i see some more pics of the throw off on your snare, i have a free floating sonor snare from the 60s and i cant seem to find out how to string the strings on the strands into the throw off and mine is the same throw off as yours. thanks

1965 Sonor teardrop *made in western germany* 4pc
sonor force 3005 8 piece maple
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here