Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Info on this Rogers:

I think this is a 1939 or 1940 lower line Rogers, possibly student model, if there were student models then. I was attracted to these old lugs!! But I got this off Ebay & am not sure what the finish should be, wrap, painted or stained. It looks like it had been covered with a contact paper & under that had been painted twice with an off white, or white paint. So in restoring this, I'm not sure which to do. A wrap would look great, paint would look good, and stained wood might require a new veneer layer. Any opinions?

2 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Also, I need, but can't find yet an original strainer (I've asked evryone I can think of!). If I don't acquire one, I guess I'll need to just put another suitable vintage strainer? Below is a pic of the present strainer & also the one I need to get if it's to be legit.

Posted on 18 years ago

I did a little research on this and based on Rob Cook's excellend book on Rogers here's what I found. Based on the lugs the era would be 1940's. On the badge you should be able to find the model as follows:

Soo Brand (entry level) Daisy Brand (better) Union Brand (better yet) or Three Star Brand (top line). I'll see if the book can give any help on the strainer.

Posted on 18 years ago

Further stuff from Cook's book. Looks like your drum MAY be a Goodwill (Daisy Brand) drum. Finish would have either been Duco lacquer or Mahogany. The strainer looks like it may have been a Slingerland 3 point. They also used a Leedy strainer during that era but he only shows it on a brass shell drum. Maybe Rob or some other Rogers expert can comment on that. Nice find and I'm sure a cool old drum.

Posted on 18 years ago

I'm judging from the imprint on the shell that the original strainer is the same as the leedy strainer in the pic above.

Here's the info I got from HarryC.:

That strainer is a Premier, made to look like a Leedy Presto?..I don?t have any, but if you find one or a drum with one on it, you will see ?Made in England? on the back..it?s a common mistake and misidentified in the Leedy book?Gretsch got heads from Rogers and sold/traded them parts..Gretsch got some parts and consoles from Premier?small world back then.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here