Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Info on Slingerland Snare COB Drum

Hi, I am a new person to the site and would appreciate a little info on a drum I recently purchased. I am a Ludwig fan & don't know much about Slingerland. So...the drum has the oval badge ( Keep on Pl silver and black) with a serial number starting with 398. It says Niles, IL on it so according to info on the Website (yours) it probably was made betwn 1970 and early 1980's. Right? I put a magnet to the rims and it magnetized so I would say the rims are the chrome over brass type. Right? The throw has the name engraved into it and I was told that means it is the pre-zoomatic type. Right? The snare is chrome, of course and really in good shape. I am going to sell it so am looking for good info that you might add to this or correct any misinfo I have. Thanks a bunch! (that's Scandinavian talk for thanks).

Posted on 18 years ago

Hello Drumminggal and Welcome to the forum!

If the magnet sticks then you have chrome over steel hoops (rims). Also the same thing for the shell. In regards to the strainer it is probably the Zoomatic. You can look on the Slingerland Hardware page to see different Slingerland Strainers.

The butt side is also improtant if the drum has the standard butt and or the extended butt. We need to know that and the Slingerland page should help get that information.

Once we get that then we can give you more detail about the drum

Thanks

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for your fast reply, Dave. I have some pictures. Here they are;

Also, it doesn't pass the magnet test on the shell, itself. Is that possible? BTW, It is a 10 lug drum.

thanks for anyone's Help

Posted on 18 years ago

They did make an 8 and or 10 lug snare called a Sound King Model, but usually the zoomatic with extended butt 3 line shells were brass. So the magnet sticks to the shell??

I'm not sure from the post?

David

Posted on 18 years ago

thanks Dave for your info. Well, I did the magnet test to the shell and it did not stick. I then took off the head and looked inside and did the test again and it did not stick. Maybe this is overkill but I wanted to be sure. The inside looked like a grey dull metal. Here is a pic of the inside if this helps.

So I wonder what this drum is.... DOH

Posted on 18 years ago

I think that explains it, you have a COB Slingerland Sound King Snare. The magnet does not stick because it has a brass shell. It should also have some good weight to it.

Other then that it would also have COS hoops (as stated), earlier models had brass hoops, but later they changed them to COS like yours.

Zoomatic strainer with extended butt side.

Nice snare drum and very underated.

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here