Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Indentifying and older Ludwig Classic Snare?

I was getting ready to purchase an older Ludwig snare drum and the only way I can identify it is the lugs and the badge. It is a Maple shell (dark red matte finish) with "Classic" lugs and the badge has a serial number of: 422477

Does that mean the late 60's? or 1977?

It's not really a vintage snare because it has had A LOT of alterations :( (i.e. new Die-cast hoops, Pearl snare throw-off and die-cast snare butt, and probably new tension rods.) so the shell and lugs are probably the only thing that is original and I dont know that the lugs or finish on the drum is original either. WOW. But still, I could take all the new stuff off and get old Ludwig parts from the same year as the drum is made if I knew what year. Can ya help me? :confused:

Pictures:

[IMG]http://www.fifedesigns.com/misc/cc_1_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.fifedesigns.com/misc/8a_1_b.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks,

RF

Posted on 19 years ago

Can't really tell, but it looks like the badge has been re-attached -grommet is incorrect. Also, the reflection is deceiving but I don't see reinforcement rings on the shell. The interior should be painted white. The finish is definitely not original and the woodgrain looks like something other than maple -birch, perhaps? Again, the pics are bad and it's hard to see the details. The lugs are Ludwig bowties and they are commonly found on snare drums of that era as well as on the Clubdate kits. I can almost assuredly say that this is not a Ludwig drum. It will never sound like a Ludwig drum unless it has the right shells and everything else. There is virtually no resale value in that drum because it has been so "Frankensteined". More pics of the interior of the drum would seal the deal.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 19 years ago

I agree with that assessment. It is also difficult to see the interior, but the badge does look like it has been messed with. Unfortunately, the only value with this drum if you ever intended to sell it is for all of the component parts.

I would go find an original example that might need parts and work on that instead. You might find another drum that needs the lugs, etc...

Keep it as a player!

David

Posted on 19 years ago

Yes, I was affraid of that. The grommet did not look right to me either, but i am not a Ludwig guy. I was also questioning the wood grain being maple. Here is a picture of the shell, but still not a very good picture:

[IMG]http://www.fifedesigns.com/misc/08_1_b.jpg[/IMG]

This drum is on eBay: eBay auction - maple snare and I figured I would just bid up to the ammount that I think the parts are worth. And if I get the drum and it sounds great, and is not too heavy, I will gig with it. otherwise I will part it out and try to figure out where the shell came from. The guy selling it on eBay is probably getting sick of all the questions I am asking him, but hey, he needs to describe his drum better, huh?

Thanks guys,

RF

Posted on 19 years ago
Action Another action Something else here