Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

In-Lay Adhesive

I'm going to be installing in-lays on a pair of metal bass drum hoops that have been painted with a Krylon almond satin. The respective in-lay strips have an adhesive tape at their ends but I'd like to apply an adhesive to the respective in-lay tracks to secure the in-lays. Just wondering which product (i.e., adhesive) might be best for this situation. I haven't dealt with metal hoops in the past -- either painted or unpainted. Any "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

Posted on 5 years ago

For years I have been using a two sided scotch tape. It comes in a regular small tape dispenser. It's a common width to accomodate most inlays. It's thin but adheres well. It's my go to stuff for this.

Posted on 5 years ago

Fully agree with Mr Layton

I buy it by the roll from H-Depot in the carpet section. Thin, transparent and adheres very well. Careful not to buy the one with the threaded cord.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 5 years ago

I don't recommend using tape around the entire circumference. The inlay will shrink or expand at a different rate than the metal, and the inlay will push up in some areas, look a bit funny sometimes, that area will get hair, dust and dirt on the adhesive, and then it looks crappy. Better to just do the ends, like Pearl used to. They did that on their FB shell wraps too. It works very well that way. But go ahead an find out what happened to me.

Posted on 5 years ago

I've used regular, double sided-Scotch tape with no issues. I haven't had any issues with the inlay shrinking or expanding. I have taped it down all the way around, but I guess you wouldn't have to. Depending on your bass drum lug configuration, you'll have 6-10 areas where it's being held down automatically by the claw hooks.

Posted on 5 years ago

Just curious, OldSchool. Is that a Star bass drum circa 1970? Thanks.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 5 years ago

From salty 1322

Just curious, OldSchool. Is that a Star bass drum circa 1970? Thanks. Brian

Hi, Brian. Yes, it's a Star bass drum. I was told that it's from the late '60s, so circa 1970 is probably correct.

Posted on 5 years ago

From OldSchool

Hi, Brian. Yes, it's a Star bass drum. I was told that it's from the late '60s, so circa 1970 is probably correct.

Thanks, Io thought so. I'm sure it's going to look great!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here