Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

I'm New

Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new here. I am a rookie drummer (playing for about 6 months) and I love it so much. I play on 1980's Gretch drumset but with a PDP Platinum Seires snare and with Zildjian cymbals. I have a question though. My bass only holds one tom (its the only tom i have besides the floor tom) and I am planning on buying a second tom soon. What can I buy that will come out of the top of my bass and hold 2 toms? Also, is there such thing as a "left" tom and a "right" tom... what makes them different?

Also, this is my first forum ever. What does "bump" mean?

You can call me Carter!
1980's Gretsch Red Rosewood
2000's Gretsch Catalina Birch
Zildjian/Paiste - Remo - Pro Mark/Vic Firth

Posted on 14 years ago

Around here you'd be advised to not mount an additional tom on the BD. It hurts the appeal and value of the drum/kit from a collector's standpoint.

Hang the added tom from a stand, or spend some time instead of money to find the benefit and economy of a 4-pc setup. If it doesn't suit you, it's your call.

Posted on 14 years ago

I see. I guess I'll see how the 4-pc works out. A stand is a good idea too. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks

You can call me Carter!

Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome <--- Forgot this. Glad to have you here with us.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you very much

You can call me Carter!

Posted on 14 years ago

..........Bump

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Just kiddin' - Cool Dude you have a lotta options on how to add the second tom. l am not sure what sorta tom arm system the set has now - but oftentimes you can just add a Gibraltar clamp ($25 or so) to the existing mount system to get your second tom there. That way you can mount off of the bass drum w\o altering the bass drum. Typically a second rack tom will be 1" larger than the first one and tuned between the first one and the floor tom. Necessary ? No - but a lotta folks like 'em (personally - they get in my way- l prefer 4-pcs). Post a photo of your set ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From warwormx

... Also, is there such thing as a "left" tom and a "right" tom... what makes them different?

If you're right handed, most people would put the smaller diameter tom on the left and the bigger on the right (as viewed by the player). Reverse if you're left handed.

But that's just most people. There's some right handed drummers who put the bigger one on the left. The best is to try different ways.

It's really whatever you want.

From warwormx

Also, this is my first forum ever. What does "bump" mean?

Sometimes you'll post a question, and for some reason no one responds to it or you don't get an answer. So you bump it up: post something... anything, even just a few question marks, to get your thread to come up on top where people will see it, otherwise it will be lost on page 2 or 3 after a few days.

Good to hear you're into drums - so am I! :)

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Warwormx.Welcome to this great forum!! As for your question about asking to many question..No you don't i like to teach new vintage drum guys,all that i know about vintage drums..i have 30+ years working on vintage drums..Its cool to fine an new guy to pass along the info..on drums...So i say ask all the questions you have me or someone will let you know...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

From Stallwart

Around here you'd be advised to not mount an additional tom on the BD. It hurts the appeal and value of the drum/kit from a collector's standpoint. Hang the added tom from a stand, or spend some time instead of money to find the benefit and economy of a 4-pc setup. If it doesn't suit you, it's your call.

I 2nd this motion, also Welcome to the VDF great place to learn and to teach!!, glad to have you!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here