Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

I'm new here. Question about Super Sensitive snare bed

I just picked up an older Ludwig 5x14" chrome Super Sensitive snare today. It seems to be in pretty good shape. I'm cleaning/lubing it and replacing the heads which I have plenty of experience with, but I have a couple of questions for someone familiar with these drums.

First, its a blue/olive badge, serial number 1148110. What year was it manufactured?

Second, what is the best replacement for the wires, several of them are bent or missing.

Thirdly, and most important. The shell seems to be round enough, but I've noticed a slight dip in the bearing edge on the bottom of the shell centered alaong the axis of the snares. Did this model have a snare bed made into the metal shell? I thought only wood snares had them, or is my shell bent somehow? It looks straight on the sides as well. Any ideas or places of reference?

Any help with these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 17 years ago

Click Here for serial number information.

Puresound Percussion makes a replacement set that fits your drum perfectly. Ludwig still might have something like that.

Yes, your snare beds are that way and normal, so you should have one sweet sounding snare drum!

Welcome to the forum

David

Webmaster

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the info about the snare bed, that was freakin' me out a bit.

I checked the date, 1974.

I've got it all apart right now, it's cleaning up quite nicely. It came with a padded suit case, old Slingerland sticks, a pitch pipe, the original key, and an old set of super soft brushes. I only paid $69 for the whole kit, so after heads and wires I shouldn't be in more that $125.

Posted on 17 years ago

Update on project. I got it all back together yesterday, with the original Ludwig wires. I used a Remo Ambassador Hazy on the snare side and a Remo Emperor coated on the batter side. I really didn't know what it can/should sound like so I took it to my local drum store for help. The young man behind the counter is a big Ludwig fan and was amazed at the quality of my snare. He took the wires off and tuned the bottom head up even more, as well as the top. After putting the wires back on he adjusted the wires looser than I would have thought, layed it on a stand and gave it a good whack. WOW! This thing sounds sweet. Another employee and a customer took turns on it as well and loved it. When I told them how much I paid for it, drum, case, sticks, brushes etc, they were even more impressed. I originally bought this for the sole purpose of putting it on eBay, but I'm thinking now of keeping it. I'm very suprised at the variety of sounds that can be achieved just buy tweaking the damper and snares. The response of the wires at low volumes is killer, and really lay into it and it sings LOUD. Mind Blowi

I was planning on replacing the wires with some new Puresounds, but even with just two strands missing it sounds so good I can't see spending $40-$50 bucks on new ones. The only non-original part I can find on it is just one lug bolt.

I'll try to post a few pictures tommorow.

Posted on 17 years ago

Well, lets see if I can post some pictures here. I only included one before shot, so you can see how nasty it was.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here