Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

I'm new! Help! Can my 20" Slingerland sound fat?

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and excited to get some info!

I have a 1960's Slingerland kit, 20" bass drum, 13" tom, 16" floor tom.

I can not get a good, fat low punch out of the 20" bass drum. I do not have calf skin heads, but I currently have an Aquariun Super Kick II on the beater side and a Remo FiberSkyn on the outside.

I have tried all sorts of beaters and skins, I have tried tuning both heads low, but there seems to be a lack of low end punch. More of a wobbly tone. It sounds big from the outside sometimes (better than sitting behind it) but it's not matching the sound I want. (Earl Palmer, New Orleans jazz/blues)

Any suggestions?

Good place to buy calf skins?

Also, what kind of hi-hats was Earl Palmer playing? They sound big and thin.

Thanks a lot,

Ben M

*Also looking to buy a ride and hats!

Posted on 14 years ago

Couple ideas from.. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id6.html

"A fat kick drum is achieved the same way a “fat” tom sound is achieved. Taking the resonant head and tuning to the lowest note, and then detuning a slight amount (1/16 to 1/8 of a turn) creates a “fat, loose or dark” drum sound. The batter head is then used to alter the pitch. Note that the pitch for a “fat” tuning can be somewhat limited."

That web page is an interesting read.

Welcome.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

I have a 20 inch bass drum on my gig kit and an Evans EMAD gave me the sound I was looking for....boomy and full with lots of thud...

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Check out the coated EMAD. My favorite bass drum head of the "built in muffler or power" variety by far. Tune the front head low and throw a strip of felt behind it....you will dig it I promise.

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here