Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

If It's 'Vintage', It's Got To Be Valuable...?

Oh, come ON! Too bad, I have a partial kit that would be a perfect match... paid a fraction for it.

ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-drums-percussion-Vintage-Blue-Sparkle-Stewart-Snare-Drum-W0QQAdIdZ357542024

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Yeah, I've got a partial matching kit, too, but won't pay that much for a matching snare. It does appear to be in pretty good shape, though.

But you're right -- some people think that just 'cause it's old, it's worth a fortune. But, there's always the possibility that the seller will find a buyer who thinks the same...

Have you ever gone to look at drum that was listed on CL (or whatever) and honestly tried to tell someone that what they have is way overpriced? It usually doesn't accomplish much other than making them mad...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

Yeah, I've got a partial matching kit, too, but won't pay that much for a matching snare. It does appear to be in pretty good shape, though.But you're right -- some people think that just 'cause it's old, it's worth a fortune. But, there's always the possibility that the seller will find a buyer who thinks the same...[COLOR="Red"]Have you ever gone to look at drum that was listed on CL (or whatever) and honestly tried to tell someone that what they have is way overpriced? It usually doesn't accomplish much other than making them mad...[/COLOR]

True dat, brother.....Yes Sir

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

I've only been collecting for a short while, but I've come to the realization that, with every project kit I undertake, I will spend maybe twice what the kit is worth in parts and heads and materials getting it to look good, and if I'm lucky in the end, it will sound half way decent!

Then there's knowing that I can still only get $200 tops for it when I want to pass it on...

There's definitely no money in "flipping" MIJ kits, but these things are like a drug! I constantly need to score!

Posted on 12 years ago

@ Surfcollector - I hear you on that. You can occasionally find a good deal on an old MIJ kit, but to get it up to speed usually takes some time and $, and in the end you may end up with a fairly decent little vintage kit, but unfortunately the market isn't quite there yet to get back what you've put in, (though I'm still hopeful... some day). I'll usually give some indication in an ad, that it's been restored and polished, etc. but this guy's asking $200.00 for a luan, 6 lug snare drum that still needs a new head...

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Amen, brothers! truer words have never been spoken.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Oh now... I'm sure he's got the decimal in the wrong place. Call him and tell him that you'll take it for $20.00, since that's about the going rate for these...

There is some fellow local to me that bought a Stewart kit and a Slingerland kit, blue and red sparkle respectively. He's asking $450.00 for the Stewart and around a thousand for the Slingerland. He has no idea 'what' they are, other than drums. He told me they were an estate find, and he'd seen drums go for thousands of dollars on eBay.

He offers them every so often on C/L... has for the last year or so.

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here