Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Identity/value of 1987 Ludwig 10 piece kit

I bought this kit from the original owner 2 years ago who purchased it in 1987 for $3,500. << This is what i was told by him, not sure if thats true... He said it was a maple kit. I'm looking to find out if it truly is a maple kit and what the value of it might be.

I have pics of the original ludwig heads on the drums. I believe the kits color is "white cortex" #504.

I have a pic of the badge from one of the drums. It looks like the "budget series" line from the late 1980's-early 90's. The reason why i question this is because my serial numbers are all 7 digits and the pic of the badge on this site has 6 digits. Also, "budget line" doesnt sound like it would sell maple kits, perhaps telling that it is not a maple kit.

As for the wood it is made of, i have taken a picture of the inside shell. It is really hard for me to tell what wood it is made of because of some texture that looks like it was applied over the inner wood core, masking the true wood tone.

All serial numbers are of the #'s 608xxxx. 7 digits all starting with 608.. some of them are 6082593, 6081570, 6082669, etc.

The drum dimensions are (2) 24x16 bass drums, tom toms are 16x16, 15x14, 14x12, 13x11, 12x10, 10x8, and 8x8. the snare is 14x6.

I have all original hardware, including hi-hat stand, tom holders, cymbal arms, etc.. some are not in good condition.

Any information on this kit would be appreciated as well as any price range that it might be worth now, because i am considering selling it. To contact me, email [EMAIL="g_czaplewski@yahoo.com"]g_czaplewski@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi, I am not sure of the value, but I do know this is not Ludwig 's top of the line kit from 1987. This is a Ludwig Rocker kit. Ludwig's top of the line kits in 1987 was the Classic and Super Classic Kits. The Ludwig Classic Shells were 6-Ply Maple/Poplar Shells that were very thick. The Super Classic Shells were 4-Ply Maple/Poplar and were much thinner. Hope this helps. Phil C. Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

thanks for the shell composition of those other series, gives me something to compare against.

Anyone know what the shell composition of my rocker series is based on that picture of the inside of the shell i sent?

i might have to pop one open and see if i can see the number of plys the shell is composed of..

I've seen kits online that are rocker kits but are called "accent series" and others that are called "maple accent series". What I'm most concerned with is the shell composition of my kit. (hope its not somethin cheap and crappy) heh.

And any price range of the value of the kit would be great!

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi, These drums are the Ludwig Rocker 2. The Shells are 4-Ply Poplar/Poplar/Poplar/Maple shells. The inside finish is also know as Lud-Cote, if you were to sand this finish to try and remove it, the Maple wood ply is underneath it. All the rest of the plies are Poplar wood. Hope this helps out. Good luck with drums. By the way, this Rocker 2 kit was made in the USA at the time in 1987. Today the only two top of the line kits that are made by Ludwig in the USA are the Classic Maple series and the Classic Birch series. All the rest of their kits are made in Taiwan. Take care. Phil C. Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you so much, your information is invaluable!

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy these, just drop me an email...

Or if anyone knows of any good websites to sell vintage drums, drop me an email..

[email]g_czaplewski@yahoo.com[/email]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here