Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

identifying the shell material on a black beauty

I have a 14"x6.5" Ludwig Black Beauty.I am trying to see if it is a brass shell or not, i believe that it is.Any definative way of telling for sure? its serial number is 1706351 (pointed corner Blue and Olive badge) it has a 'B' stamped behind the screw attachment for the damper/muffler, it weighs around 10lbs.It is a deep nickel colour not quite black but close.I hope this helps, i tried to upload pictures but the files are too large.Help

Thanks,Andrew

Posted on 17 years ago

Try putting a magnet up against it...if you feel a very very strong attraction, it prolly isnt brass, but if its a very weak pull, it may be brass

Posted on 17 years ago

I have a new Black Beauty 6 1/2 x 14 and was told that all are brass. I don't always believe what people tell me, but what you can do is remove a lug and GENTLY scratch an area where the lug will hide it and see if it is brass or not. Preferably close the the hole where the lug mounts, or maybe you can see on the inside of the hole (that very thin 1/18 of an inch if that) and tell.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks, but what would happen if its bronze,would that be attractive to a magnet or not?Hmmmm

Posted on 17 years ago

The late '70s black beauties were brass...don't think they were using bronze then. The regular supras and supers were usually Ludalloy (aluminum).

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here