Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Identifying snare shell (re-rings, 3ply) + bearing edge crack repair

I got this snare project yesterday. The drum has Tama Swingstar lugs and throw-off but the shell seems interesting.

3-ply shell with reinforcement rings. Six lugs. It seems that the original lugs were single-point. I don't think that the finish is original either.

Any idea what this shell is? There's a picture of a hoop that came with the snare - does someone identify the manufacturer?

And other question:

How can fix a cracked bearing edge (see pictures)? I was thinking of wood filler and then sanding it even with actual bearing edge.

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/esq38ftwirhosor/Gh1QmTPWef

Posted on 10 years ago

Not so sure about it. The shell doesn't look Japanese and the middle ply looks different from the other two. It reminds me of early 1960s Gretsch or Slingies, although those had two-point lugs. The round badge imprint says Gretsch??

Since this drum has definitely been altered, is it possible then that the original holes were double-point and someone fitted single-points on it at some stage?? Just throwing ideas here, no clue what this is...

Alex

Posted on 10 years ago

Winter,

When you go to fill the splintering, put that edge on the table or flat piece of wood. Then use your putty knife to fill it in. You will be able to get the thickness correct that way. Much harder the other way up.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago

OddBall: Thanks for the advice!

Yeah it doesn't look Japanese to me either. Construction looks like birch or poplar/mahogany to me. It's of course possible that single-point lugs were added later. The hoops that came with the drum are actually identical to my Beverley tom: round holes for tuning rods etc.

Lug hole spacing is approx. 2 inches (50mm) - at least Slingerland doesn't match.

Posted on 10 years ago

Because of the splintering from low speed drilling, I`m gonna go with the single point clean holes first.(factory)

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago

Now that you mention it, it looks quite a bit like my Olympic.... Could be then that the single point holes are original.

Alex

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here