Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Identifying My Classic Tympani

I am new and really appreciate this forum !

When I bought this classic old 26" WFL Kettle Drum (see attached photos) from an auction it had about 10 coats of paint and had been pretty beat up. My dear friend and I spent many hours stripping it and taking out the dents. We then sprayed it with urethane (otherwise it would be black in 3 months - from the salt in the air in Hawaii) and mounted a leather head to the old, plastic head ring and then replaced the legs with longer, stronger ones. I love it and it sounds wonderful !

I WANT TO KNOW WHEN IT WAS MADE. Can anyone help ? I have done some research and I would imagine it was made for marching bands ?

Also . . . I have bought another drum in Virginia and need to get it to Hawaii . . . just in case anybody has any suggestions that might cost less than the $500 DSL is quoting. It is a 29" and has the foot pedal so it is bigger and heavier than this one.

THANK YOU !

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Afraid I have zero answers for you....

But...I was wondering how you managed to repair a dented kettle shell ? it seems like it'd almost be impossible to get it really right again....unless you used the sort of dent tools or magnetic dent balls that brass repair people use..(?)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I'm not sure if I am doing this right but hopefully Jaye will see my response. Among many other skills, my friend has a lot of experience taking dents out of the cars and motorcycles that he restores (and sometimes wrecks).

We bought a body kit and sat on a log for hours slowly taking the dents out. And it is still far from perfect but sure looks nice to the unpracticed (or undiscerning) eye.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here