Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Identifyication Of Slingerland Snare

I'm trying to CORRECTLY identify a Slingerland Sparkling Pink Champagne snare drum that I've got for cataloging purposes. I've added a few pics of the drum and a description of some of the features below. ANY AND ALL help regarding this one would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS in advance for your help!

From what I've researched, I believe that the interior of the shell is 3-ply Mahogany-Poplar-Mahogany with solid Maple reinforcement rings. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong! Stamped on the shell is what appears to be OCT 31 1960, although the month is quite smeared. The letter "P" is also stamped on the shell.

The drum's got 8 large Sound King lugs, COB Stick-Saver hoops, a clamshell strainer & butt, and Slingerland's Chicago Black & Brass Badge.

The batter side head is an original Slingerland Genuine Calf Orchestra Batter, while the snare side head is a clear Weather King ("Old Stamp") Ambassador.

The drum appears to have its original snare wires (20) and what I believe was labeled the Harold R. Dodd dual pad muffler system.

Originally, I thought this one was some sort of Radio King, but have been told that it isn't. I'm trying to obtain the correct model name (and number?).

THANKS AGAIN!

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

That drum was listed as the Gene Krupa Super Radio King in the 1960 catalog.

Although the catalog states that the shells are solid maple, many of them were shipped with 3 ply mahogany shells like yours. It's still the same model drum, just with the "wrong" shell. I actually like the 3 ply shelled snares more than the solid ones.

Posted on 15 years ago

Rich K.:

THANKS so much for your input. For a minute there I thought I might actually "stump the stars!"

Any idea what one like this might be worth on the open market?

THANKS AGAIN for your time!

Posted on 15 years ago

Usually solid shell drums in this model sell for $300-600. (All original, no extra holes, etc.) The 3 ply shell would bring the value down. Even though it's not rare, champagne sparkle drums often bring a premium compared to some other sparkles and common pearls. I would guess the drum would get around $3-350 on ebay.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here