Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Identify

Does anyone recognize these drums?

I’m mostly interested in the snare, to couple with my star kit from 1966

Regards, Andreas

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Looks like another Star stencil. They likely are LaBoz, but they means nothing, really. How much? Shouldn't be more than 50-75, closer to the bottom, and as cheap as you could possibly get them. The bass is hurtin' fer certin'...and if you would like to make a wonderful donation of the rest of the shells, I have a new donor kit awaiting...drums. Got a kid in OKC that I'm told is amazing, and from a poor family. I do this sorta thing. Giving away the dream of a future, at least trying to keep the kids off the street. My idea is if they are learning to drum, they aren't likely selling crack on the corner....ya know?

Never mind te donation thing...just realized you are in Sweden! Maybe you can find a dedicated student that needs some drums???

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Iam not sure by the photo but the bass drum and tom look like 50's ROXY drums the tom mount and the lugs on the tom look that to me..The snare looks M.I.J. maybe Star or 100 other names...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the replies

I was in contact with the seller.

No badges on base and tom, but he think it’s ROXY. So one point to Miky here.

And the price, approx. 60$. So one point to Jonnistix too.

The snare was a pearl, and not that old.

And, no, I did not buy it.

Regards, Andreas

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello Andreas.

Partly yes to Mikey - maybe Roxy (or origin Tromsa from 1961 - 1968), but I doubt.

There is a very high probability that it's a "TROWA" the same years - both of factories have been partly used the identical parts & hardware. And the bass head placed near BD on pic is similar to CONRAD head by Altenburg which TROWA used.

Also, the fact that there is no labeling, and lugs are as TROWA Teadrop type, strengthens the idea that it is indeed "TROWA" (but it's hard to say about snare).

A pic is not good quality to see a details to identify full.

George.

Posted on 13 years ago

The bass drum and tenor tom are Tromsa; from likely about 1965. The snare drum is not Tromsa . It is very hard to tell , what it is though ----I agree the detail is bad. With regards to the sharing between Tromsa and Trowa or Tacton, George : it seems to me that they my have cooperated on wrap purchases because they entered many of the same wraps in their catalogues but having access to many Tromsa made drums and almost 20 from Trowa/Tacton, I see no other parts,hardware or even technological approaches that are similar. Tromsa does appear to have been connected with Deri briefly but related to one project only.

Mikey; with respect to Roxy. I have never seen a Roxy drum that was not badged. The badges were fixed with two very secure little nails and of all the shells that I have , that I can attribute to the Tromsa factory(almost 50) ,not a single one has 2 little holes, where a badge once was. It seems that drums marketed as Roxy and therefore called such would need be badged as such because Roxy drums are essentially a stencil brand of Tromsa. Tromsa only rarely badged the drums that they did not sell through a middleman and I don't know why this was.Several companies(Lindberg,Korri,Hohner,Luxor) sold Tromsa drums in Germany and elsewhere and were usually badged as such. Kings and Concorde were made by Tromsa and marketed in Hollandand were badged as such. Roxy were made by Tromsa and marketed in North America and were badged as such. Early Vox drums were made by Tromsa and marketed in the U.K and were badged as such. Tromsa marketed there product within Germany primarily,leaving the aforementioned other companies to look after the export market, so what usually shows up in North America are Roxy, giving the illusion that Roxy was a maker of drums. It wasn't . At best, Roxy had a warehouse in Wandsbeck(a suburb of Hamburg),where drums and other musical instruments were repackaged for export. So, I guess, then; if it is badged Roxy, then it is a Roxy, if it is unbadged, then it is a Tromsa. -----similar say to a Stewart being only a Stewart if it is badged as such.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here