Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Identify this Premier kit

I want to identify the drum kit I just bought at a flea market. It's Premier, the badge looks like one of the sixties. The shells are all wood, the finish is gold glitter.

The bass drum has 2 swiv-o-matic tom holders (I looked it up and it seems to be Rogers, not Premier? Isn't that odd?)

Some more details:

tom-tom: 11,66 x 8 inches , 6 lugs

floor tom: 16,5 x 15 inches, 10 lugs

bass drum: 20 x 13,6 (+/-16,5 inches hoops included)

As you can see on the pictures, the finish and the lugs are quite rusty. Is there anything that I can do? I think I might need some restoration advice.

Cheers,

Peter from Brussels

Posted on 18 years ago

I'm guessing early 60's, are your measurements exact of the shell, or with the rims?

They did have a set called the Premier "55" close to those sizes.

The Rogers mounts were added later so the set has been modified.

Premier had some really good chrome and some of the rust should clean up, but from the looks of it the rust has set in.

Here is a cleaning article on the main web site to get you going on the restoration.

Click Here

David

Posted on 18 years ago

I guess I'll have a head problem. The small tom seems to be 11,66 x 8 inches. The heads that were on the kit, are Everplays. They must be there for 40 years, so they'll need a replacement. I've tried a normal Remo 12" head on it, but the hoop doesn't fit.

Did anyone already hear about 11 2/3" heads? I've checked the early 60ies Premier catalogs on DrumArchive.com, but I couldn't find one tom with such a strange size. It was all 12 x 8. I don't understand it... I can't manage to put a normal new 12" head on it...

Err.. help!

Posted on 18 years ago

I've found the solution: it seems that Premier had some strange sizes before 1965. 12" vintage Premier doesn't seem to be the same as 12" on some other drum set. Luckily I can still order these vintage Premier heads. This topic http://www.remo.com/forum/post/view?bid=1&id=56366&sty=1&tpg=2&age=0 on the Remo-forum helped me.

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

I want to identify the drum kit I just bought at a flea market. It's Premier, the badge looks like one of the sixties. The shells are all wood, the finish is gold glitter.The bass drum has 2 swiv-o-matic tom holders (I looked it up and it seems to be Rogers, not Premier? Isn't that odd?)Some more details:tom-tom: 11,66 x 8 inches , 6 lugsfloor tom: 16,5 x 15 inches, 10 lugsbass drum: 20 x 13,6 (+/-16,5 inches hoops included)As you can see on the pictures, the finish and the lugs are quite rusty. Is there anything that I can do? I think I might need some restoration advice.Cheers,Peter from Brussels

oh Man, tough one there Peter, looks like the wrap is really rough. First decide what you want to do with the wrap. I hate rewrapping anything that isn't beyond saving and there doesn't seem to be much there. Second, find some bronze wool, it looks like steel wool but bronze, DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL ON ANYTHING!!!!! Try Ace Hardware if they have them in Belgium, if not try a marine supply house. You may also be able to order onlone from Ace Hardware.

Remove the wrap if that's what you want to do, NOTE: I think Red Glitter is the only wrap close to the old wraps.

Decide if you want to bring this kit back to full authentic restoration, that means removing the Rogers holder, they were added by somebody not Premier and finding the original Premier holders.

Let me know if you need any further help.

On positive note save that bass head with the paper Premier Logo, pretty rare these days

Regards, CJ

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here