Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Identify Gretsch Kit... I need some parts

Hey all,

First of all.... great info here.

Through doing searches in the forums and looking around the site I think I have at least identified the year of my Gretsch kit but I could be wrong.

Quick info: I was kinda forced into buying this kit for $200 to help a friend who was short on money. It came with garbage cymbals and stands. I am a long term guitar player and didn't really want the set but since I have it I thought, might as well try to learn to play it. So far I have changed the snare skin and purchased a sabian cymbal pack. Not the greatest but they will do until I determine if I'm a drummer.. lol.

I sent an email to Gretsch and this is what they sent back... only posting the sections that apply:

With two major fires at the Gretsch factories in the past, most of the

historical records were destroyed including any documents referencing

serial number details for drum production. Since these records are no

longer available, we are unable to provide detailed production years of

individual drums based on serial numbers.

To help date you Gretsch Drums take a close look at your logo badges on

your kit. You can use the following information to give you an idea

when your Gretsch drums were manufactured:

BADGE #1 1883 to 1971

The original Gretsch Round Badge design.

This was the first badge used on Gretsch drums going all the way back

to 1883. The badge was round with GRETSCH written across the top and

DRUM MAKERS SINCE 1883 along the bottom. The older version of the Round

Badge used a carpenter’s tack to attach the badge to the shells while

later version used the standard brass grommet to affix the badge. Final

production of Gretsch drums with the Round badge was in 1971

"I have the round badges"

There are no serial numbers that I can find on them.

The Gretsch portion of the kit is

20 x 13-14 Kick: I didn't pull the skins off

12 x 8 Toms. I have two of these

16 x 16 Floor tom.

From this link http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/gretsch_badges.html

It appears that I have a pre 60's kick

Kick Badge

and 60's to 70's toms.

Toms Badges

Per the finish on the drums and this link http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/gretsch_finishes.html

It appears that I have a 1970 finish. Of course this page only has 1958 or later so maybe the maple wood grain was used earlier. With the badges and the finish I might have pre 1958 kick and 1970 toms. The toms appear to be 6 ply. I haven't taken the skins off the kick so I don't know what ply it is. Pretty confusing.

Also here is a photo of the tom mount on the kick

It also appears that at some time a prior owner had changed the rings/hoops... sorry I don't know what they are called. Each of the 12" toms have 5 bolts but there are holes that per the spacing look like the drums might have originally been 4 bolt. The 16" tom has the same problem 8 bolts currently but 1 extra unused hole set that looks like 7 was original.

I am interested in getting the 2 rings/hoops with the bolts that I am missing and I am missing some of the bolts for the kick (for holding the skin on). Since the drums appear to have been modified I guess my question is: Will any 5 bolt ring for a 12" drum work? Due I have to be concerned with threads on the bolts/holders for the kick? Also any details on my kit that you may know would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on 18 years ago

Post in the wanted section and then keep searching Ebay, the parts will come up in time. Be patient and you will find the parts.

I would be curious to see the back of the badge on the tom and what are all of the interior finishes on the drums?

I believe it is original in color and your $200 investment was well worth it. I have to look at some of my catalogs to make sure. The badge will also tell the tale

Please explain that and show pictures, I'm just not getting it

Each of the 12" toms have 5 bolts but there are holes that per the spacing look like the drums might have originally been 4 bolt. The 16" tom has the same problem 8 bolts currently but 1 extra unused hole set that looks like 7 was original.

Thanks

David

Posted on 18 years ago

It looks like you have a '60s set of Gretsch...very possibly re-finished...they did make natural maple finished drums during the late '60s, but I'm guessing it's a re-finished set. Gretsch always used 5 lugs per side on their 12" toms...the extra set of holes I think you're referring to is for the muffler or tone control. It was very common for drummers to remove these, as they rattled. Any 5 hole , 12" hoop will do on your toms, and any 16" 8 hole hoop will work on your floor tom...actual Gretsch replacements, whether new or vintage will be pricey...if it's just a "player" kit, or you're going to re-sell it, it may not be worth the replacement cost. If you posted some wider shots of the drums, if might be easier to evaluate further. Round badge Gretsch drums are on the high end of collectiblity and price...even sets or singles that are re-finished or have modifications bring nice prices in the vintage market. You did quite well for $200.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the response folks.

After posting this I spent most of the next day researching parts and have ordered the 5 lug 12" rings that I need. they were $15 each from Guitar C but they are special order from Gibraltar.

Here are some more photos to hopefully answer your questions. I had to do multiple posts due to this site only allowing so many photos per post.

Interior of 12" tom.. all drums are the same color on the interior.

Photo of tom holder? Not sure what this is called.. lol

Wood is added by me to quite a rattle. Haven't worked out a more permanant and appealing solution.

Photo of kick drum inside of badge back

The badge doesn't come through in any fashion. It looks to be pressed in from the top only with no backing inside the drum.

Posted on 18 years ago

Photo of tom drum inside of badge back. All that comes through to the interior is the tack which is bent over.

Photo of unused "holes in tom". All 3 toms have similar holes as if something was originally there. As Rich said it might be for a muffler but it is on the batter and reso side of each drum.

Posted on 18 years ago

Fuller Photo of Kit... check out the tom mounts to the kick... pretty lousy

Since making the original post I have order the 12" rings, purchased new hats, 16" crash, 18" crash and a 20" ride (all sabian b8's), replaced all the heads (batter and reso with remo coated emperors and clear diplomats), new kick pedal (Pearl), new hi hat stand (pdp), got replacements for the missing claws and bolts for the kick... but not original style, new cymbal stands (pdp's) and even got a drum throne. Even though I can't put the reso heads on the toms until the rings come in the kit sounds great!

I know that I now have about $700 invested in the kit. My only concern of value is for insurance purposes. I have a lot of vintage to new equipment and carry an insurance policy to cover the replacement cost. I need update my policy to cover the estimated replacement cost for the kit. I am having fun learning how to play drums with this kit and with my history of never selling music equipment, I doubt I will ever get rid of anything.

Posted on 18 years ago

Rich was correct on the fact that this set has been refinished. The badges do look tampered with.

In regards to insurance you probably do not need to worry since the set is probably worth between $1200 and maybe $1400.

I'm not 100% sure on that price range, maybe more since Gretsch is a hot ticket item. Less so once they have been changed.

There are some Gretsch sets that can be worth huge money, but this is not one of them. What I recommend is to check with how your insurance company handles claims and what they require to replace the item.

You might need to keep photos and or get appraisals at the least.

Yes, Gretsch had top and bottom tone controls and it is common with Gretsch drums, so Rich is correct.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Rich was correct on the fact that this set has been refinished. The badges do look tampered with.David

Do non tampered badges have a different interior appearance? I would like to know so if I am trying to get a matching Gretsch drum I know what to look for. Of course if it is the same finish and a round badge I wouldn't be to concerned.

Quoted post

In regards to insurance you probably do not need to worry since the set is probably worth between $1200 and maybe $1400.David

Is this price range based upon shop sales or ebay?

Quoted post

I'm not 100% sure on that price range, maybe more since Gretsch is a hot ticket item. Less so once they have been changed.You might need to keep photos and or get appraisals at the least. David

My policy covers replacement and they just ask for a reasonable estimated replacement cost.

Thanks for the responses. I at least have some information to go on.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here