Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Identification Of Slingerland Radio King Floor Tom

I was fortunate to purchase a vintage Radio King Kit earlier today in Black Diamond Pearl. I believe the kit to be from the early 40s, based on the aluminum cloud badge found on the snare drum (no maroon on the badge -- this one's the first aluminum one, I believe).

The kit came with a Radio King bass drum, rack tom with tacked bottom, Gene Krupa Super Radio King snare drum (16 lugs) , floor tom with basket and original hi-hat stand with 13 inch "hats". All the drums came with calfskin heads, including some original Radio Kings.

My question concerns the floor tom. This one's got wooden hoops with BDP in-lays, similar to what normally appears on bass drums. Was this common during this era on the Radio King kits, or is it some sort of "special order"?

I've tried to upload a picture of the drum and hopefully I've succeeded.

As usual, thanks to all in advance for your feedback.

BTW.............. I got the entire kit for $200.00.

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Here's a couple more pics of the floor tom.

Posted on 16 years ago

I wonder if it could be an immediate post war drum built with metal hardware but using up rolling bomber floor tom shells and wooden hoops...???

Just a wild stab...

Wow.. $200 .. when you going to post a picture of the whole kit??

Photo from http://www.coopersvintagedrums.com/drumhistorysling.htm

1 attachments
23.2 kB
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Good Morning,

THANKS SO MUCH for the feedback. I did take a look at the Rolling Bombers and did notice the similarity - just didn't make the connection, I guess. I know the floor tom will look much better, once I get the time to clean it up some.

I've attached a few pics of the snare drum for you. Haven't had the time yet to clean this one up either, as of yet.

In regard to posting a pic of the entire kit, the tacked bottom rack tom has a ripped batter head, which I've got to replace, although the drum itself is in really nice shape. The bass drum is the only one of the four that doesn't match the time period. It's a Slingerland Radio King built between 1958-1960 (I believe) with the Niles badge w/o any serial number. I haven't cleaned the bass drum either, but the finish is flat out gorgeous. It's also a "virgin", without a hole to be found. I'll post a few pics of it later today.

When I went to pick up the kit, I asked if the prior owner had the "basket" for the floor tom. He had no idea what I was talking about. As I was on the way home, he called my home and told my wife that he'll be dropping it off sometime next week.

The hi-hat stand that came with the kit has the following marking on the footboard: "FDS Chicago ILL". I have no idea what the initials refer to, but the pedal itself somewhat resembles Slingerland's vintage Epic pedal. The bottom cymbal says "Made in Italy" on it, while the top cymbal has the following marking: "DeKay (in script) CRAFTONE USA."

THANKS AGAIN for your input!

Posted on 16 years ago

Did you have a gun along with that 200.00? How do they sound? That snare looks killer.

Posted on 16 years ago

Lucky... I'm with you.. beavertails, engraved rim, clam shells, original wrap... that is truly an "OldSchool" Slingerland snare to envy..

Can't wait to see it cleaned up!!

Posted on 16 years ago

Jim/Lucky,

THANKS for the feedback and your collective sense of humor!

The manner in which I found these was a case of a little luck and good timing, I guess. The prior owner advertised them as "Beatles drums". However, when I took a look at the pictures that were posted, which weren't very clear, I knew right away that they weren't Ludwigs. I couldn't tell what the finish was, but I thought it was more than likely BDP, not OBP.

What immediately grabbed my attention (other than the low asking price) was the size of the snare drum. I was fortunate enough to be the first of many to contact the prior owner. Hence, I got first crack at them.

I've attached a few pics of the tacked-bottom rack tom. The pics don't show the top rim, head or t-rods that came with the drum, but I do have them and all parts are original. This is the piece that had the ripped batter side head, which I'll need to replace. AGAIN...I haven't had time yet to do any cleaning.

BTW..........do the "red" muffler pads help dating this particular piece? I believe that I had read somewhere that Slingerland also used "green" pads on some of its drums.

Posted on 16 years ago

Here are a few pics of the bass drum that I got with the rest of the Radio King drums. It's from a different era (1960-1962) with the Niles Black & Brass Badge with no serial number on it.

I don't think the pics do this one justice. The BDP finish is outstanding. Personally, I like Slingerland's more than Ludwig's, Rogers or Gretsch's. Just a personal choice, I guess. It's actually quite amazing how many different variations of the BDP finish were used through the years.

BTW................ I found the EXACT floor tom I've got, also in the BDP finish, in Rob Cook's publication "The Slingerland Book." It's on page 122 under "The Dave Brown Collection." The article states that "Brown's collection is famous for - clean, rare outfits from the 1920s and 1930s. Perhaps the floor tom that I've got is even older than I anticipated. Who knows?

Posted on 16 years ago

Man... I think you landed something special there.. how cool is that!!

Interesting to see those streamliner lugs on the bass drum matched up with torpedo t-rods and that style claw.

Good eye... fast finger.. way to go!!

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Old School,

Really Nice Score.

Jim, U are just jumpin' right in

as a "go to" on this stuff.

Bravo!

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here