Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

I.d. Help Needed Please

I'm trying to determine what brand these are? Help2

Any "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated!:)

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Teisco I think. Although the mount plate looks like a Star, the lugs are not. This is one of those we don't really know who made, there is some conjecture that there was a company in the mixed called Hoshino, but I am finding the only Hoshino is after the end of Star, The Hoshino family that owned Star/TAMA used that name for the last 2-3 years of stencil production before dropping completely out of stencils.

Osaka found another company early on making stencils and branded drums under the name of Hoshino, but they seem to have disappeared in the 60s. Hoshino Gakki was one of the Hoshino companies. The other was the company for Star/TAMA. NOw I could have this backwards this morning, but one or the other....sometimes it gets very confusing without my notes, and since I was up late and got up later, I am not going to dig through them.

Once you get them all lacquered and what not, they will boom like cannons. As for value...meh.40 for both would be top, IMHO. This is not high Q stuff.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

To me the lugs are Star i have seen them on star drums in the pass with the silver/black badge...But i have also seen the lugs on other no name drums and about 20 or so name drums..So like Jonni stated who knows for sure....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

I dont think these are Star drums. The lugs dont look quite right and Star, to the best of my knowledge, never used flat head screws (pic of bass drum interior.) Pearl did sometimes, and I think Hoshino may have as well. My guess is Hoshino, but the pics are small and do not reveal much detail.

Also, the tom mount is the same shape as a Star mount, but the Star tab insert piece is not screwed on like the one here. Similar design, but not the same.

These pics are from a CL ad, right? I'd love to see some close up pics if possible.

Posted on 13 years ago

I think this link was where we sort of left off on the whole Hoshino vs Hoshino debate.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=13005&highlight=hoshino

Posted on 13 years ago

The middle ring is off center ?..

i see a name on the head ,but can't read it, this could be a clue if original.

Posted on 13 years ago

Are they definitely Japan-made? I mean did they ever make those in Taiwan?

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here