Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

ID for an old Ludwig Snare, please?

I used to deliver the morning paper around my area and I discovered this poking out of the trash. 5-1/2" x 13". Also someone has (!GASP!) spray painted it black. I searched this site top to bottom but couldn't find anything on 13" snares in this color. Also the badge is missing. HELP!

5 attachments
83.9 kB
94.8 kB
107.1 kB
83.3 kB
133.3 kB
Posted on 16 years ago

It's a 1950's WFL "Classic Porto-Pac" snare...made until '59...are you selling??

Posted on 16 years ago

Honestly, I'd like to clean it up before I decide. I LOVE the sound of it. I've actually gigged with it a bunch of times in the condition that it is in right now. I want to get the paint off of it, (trying to figure out how w/o ruining it) and I'm going to go to the local plater's today to get a quote on some new chrome for all of the hardware. I'm also going to get a relative of mine (cabinetmaker), to spiff up the bearing edge if needed. Also, I need to get a badge. Is there any way to know for sure which badge to get? There aren't any markings on the inside of the shell except a "13" and an "S" both written whit what appears to be a grease pencil.

I really want to restore this drum and hear it before I decide whether or not I want to sell it. I've had it at least 7 years. I've been using it "as-is" except for new heads. The throw-off never worked, and I usually leave it on.

Any idea what it's worth now and after refurb? (ballpark, of course)

If I do decide to sell, I'll make sure I give you first dibs.

Thanks for the info so far.

-Dan

Posted on 16 years ago

PS: What species of wood is this made from, and also, was the hardware originally chrome or nickel plate? I want to know for when I go to the plater.

Help2

Posted on 16 years ago

For what it's worth, here is the 1959 Ludwig Catalog information.......

[IMG]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL770/2917504/17005330/307228512.jpg[/IMG]

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago

This is from my '56 WFL catalog...

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks guys. I finally got the paint off. I went to my buddy's body shop and he suggested using lacquer thinner in a small spot first. I worked, wonderfully to get the paint off, but the finish is very darkened underneath. It is nice and shiny where the hoops sit and there is also a nice shiny spot in the shape of a keystone badge at the vent hole, and under all the lug mounts, etc. Any suggestions on how to spiff this up? I tried rubbing compound, but No Go. It makes it shiny, but it is still darker than the rest.

Ill post pics when I get the chance to take more

Posted on 16 years ago

Actually, the WFL Classic porto pak (yours) is 5.5" x 13. The "super" in the photo above is a 5" and has a different throw off.

I believe those came with chrome and nickel hardware. Yours doesn't need to be re-plated...since the badge is gone, and it had paint on it, it would be imprudent (?) to spend $ on re-plating. The lugs, hoops and throw-off on your drum could be cleaned nicely in a day. You could use a wire brush on the tension rods, or put them aside and get generic replacements to use. If you can't clean the butt to your satisfaction, those type are pretty easy to find in decent condition.

If you're planning on selling it...leave it as is...you won't get back the money you put in to "restore" it. Many of us collectors would rather do that ourselves.

Posted on 16 years ago

I have the same drum identical to yours! Mine is a blue sparkle like yours and it has the same throw-off. If you look inside my drum you can see how the wrap goes all the way through the shell and red sparkle is on the flip side of the wrap. I think people like to think that WFL offered aqua sparkle but it is really just blue sparkle that has lightened up. I got mine at a yard sale for $10.00! Good luck fixing that up!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Nothing you can do about darkening or fading of the wrap.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here