Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

ID for 1980's marching snare

Hi everyone! Does anyone know what kind of shell material my newly acquired Ludwig marching snare might be made of?

It's a 10-lug, 10x14 snare with classic-style long lugs. Judging by the serial number (309xxxx) and the post-1980 keystone badge as well as the amount of wear on the drum, I'm guessing it's from the mid-1980's, but I could be wrong. It's been neglected for a long time, but I picked it up to put it all back together enough to make it playable, so I was really curious about the shell material or even the series name. Unfortunately for me, there's not a lot of info out about post-1980 Ludwigs, it seems.

Any have any possible info about my drum?

-Kevin

Posted on 17 years ago

It should be a maple shell. I think they made six ply shells up to the early 90's and then they swithed the number of plies. If the badge is a large keystone that says Chicago on it, then it is some of the last chicago made drums. Most of the newer keystone badges say Monroe NC as that is where current Ludwigs are made. Schooldrums get pretty beat on so the condition is no surprise to me. What is the color? Just curious. There may even be a date stamp in there. Good luck.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago

Dude, thanks for the info... so glad to hear that it's maple!! The badge does note that it was from Chicago, so thats cool.

It has a white wrap which will be cleaned today. Hopefully I'll have time to scrub/polish the hardware as well. And I'm going out to pick up some new tension rods and heads for it this afternoon.

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm going to guess that your drum is from around 1984-5. I don't think keystone chicago badges in the 80's were used very long. They changed it to the Monroe NC badge on there pretty quickly. You should be able to count 6-plies of maple in there as well. Should be a cool drum. Loud at that!Cool

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

That on'es pretty close, except mine is not the split-shell design, and it's only 10" deep. Plus, I noticed the lugs on mine are longer; they go closer to the bearing edge than those on many other Ludwigs like this one...

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here