Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

ID an old snare?

It's 12" x 5", has no snare throw-off, just a thumb screw to adjust the snare tension, and has no identifying marks anywhere on it. It's pretty small and lightweight, obviously a beginner's snare, but the wood is pretty nice and the heads, which appear to be original, are stamped "Genuine Calf Skin", so I guess it was actually meant to be played. Based on the type of wing screws on the tension rods, I'd guess maybe 1920s or '30s, based on the similarity to the "Tango Snare" from the 1928 Slingerland catalog (http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/slingerland/1928_slingerland_pg8_large.jpg), but that's really just a guess.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Scott

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeah, you are in the ballpark as far as the era....somewhere in there. There were so many of these sorta drums made, they tend to pop up all the time. They do not carry much value if there is no clue as to a makers badge/stamp/mark somewhere.

But..you also hit on it.....they often are decent shells which you can utilize to create a modern snare from. If the edges are good and the shell is in good shape, and the diameter is legit (sometimes these small old snares had odd diameters...like 13-3/4" true outside to outside, etc....which can make 'em pretty much useless) they do make nice blanks.

But market value here maybe $30 or so from the pics. As to the maker, almost impossible to ascertain.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I agree with Jaye. Looks like an early 20th century beginner model, possibly made by a name brand, but likely generic. Hardly worth the price of shipping if you're trying to sell it! Hardware doesn't look to be of much use so if the shell is decent, do as you wish with it and don't shed a tear!

-Lee

Posted on 15 years ago

I'd be interested in buying it.

Posted on 15 years ago

From JRichard

I'd be interested in buying it.

PM sent.

Scott

Posted on 15 years ago

I knew if I looked around the archives long enough I'd find out more about this drum. Attached below is a listing from the 1928 Ludwig catalog. The middle wood shell option, model No. 4398, looks like a match to mine. (Of course when I measured mine, I made the mistake of including the rims - I haven't measured it without them, but I'm guessing the shell will end up being about 3" tall like the one in the catalog.)

BTW, I have the "sticks and sling" that came with mine as well.

Scott

From checker758

It's 12" x 5", has no snare throw-off, just a thumb screw to adjust the snare tension, and has no identifying marks anywhere on it. It's pretty small and lightweight, obviously a beginner's snare, but the wood is pretty nice and the heads, which appear to be original, are stamped "Genuine Calf Skin", so I guess it was actually meant to be played. Based on the type of wing screws on the tension rods, I'd guess maybe 1920s or '30s, based on the similarity to the "Tango Snare" from the 1928 Slingerland catalog (http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/slingerland/1928_slingerland_pg8_large.jpg), but that's really just a guess.Any ideas?Thanks.Scott

Posted on 15 years ago

Those are cool hoops.

Posted on 15 years ago

Checker, clear out some of your messages. I tried to reply to you, it said your box is full. :)

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here