Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

ID a Radio King (?) snare?

A friend of mine has owned this snare since the '70s, and was told it was a Radio King. But some parts have obviously been changed (not by him - I think the only thing he's done is change the batter head to a fyberskin). Because of these changes, he hasn't been able to determine the age of the drum. His best guess is that it's a '50s drum that had some updating done to it in the '60s.

I saw him last night and shot a few crappy (sorry) cell phone pics, which I'm posting here. Anyone have any clues as to the true identity and vintage of this drum?

Any help is appreciated.

BTW, this drum sounds fantastic!

Thanks.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

A couple more pics.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Solid Maple Radio King 1948 - 1952. Best guess is that the lugs were changed for one of two reasons, 1. The lugs "gatored" got fat in the middle and needed to be changed. 2. The snare was being played with a newer style kit so the lugs were changed to match. I would bet more like #2. Great drum BTW I have few and love them.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

From GoneDrumming

Solid Maple Radio King 1948 - 1952. Best guess is that the lugs were changed for one of two reasons, 1. The lugs "gatored" got fat in the middle and needed to be changed. 2. The snare was being played with a newer style kit so the lugs were changed to match. I would bet more like #2. Great drum BTW I have few and love them.

Thanks for the quick response!

Those lugs are from a later Slingerland, right?

Could it be possible that this is a later snare that has been retrofitted with a 1948-52 strainer? I didn't see any extra holes around the strainer, but I did notice that the shell was originally drilled for three screws on each side of the butt plate assembly, but the current butt plate assembly (which looks like new, btw) only uses one of these holes on each side, although it IS a perfect fit.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

Original butt had 3 holes on each side... (that's sounds kinda funny when I typed it)

The lugs came around in the 50's and they are Slingerland.

I'm going to hold pretty firm on the date of the snare and that the lugs were added later.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Great - thanks for the info!

As an aside, this site is the best - the most knowledgeable, courteous and helpful group I think I've come across in 20 years on the internet. Thanks to everyone.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

Wisely, Slingerland made the sound king lugs to use the same mounting holes as the previous streamline lugs.

The Streamline lugs were prone to cracking sometimes, so it's possilbe the lugs were replaced without holes being drilled.

BTW, I have 6 lugs on ebay now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-Radio-King-Snare-drum-lugs_W0QQitemZ140355056589QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20add033cd

Also...it's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the drum has the earlier stick chopper hoops, which would be consistant with the badge...

However the 3 pt is a '60s or later version...

There's a lot going on...

Posted on 14 years ago

From Rich K.

Wisely, Slingerland made the sound king lugs to use the same mounting holes as the previous streamline lugs.The Streamline lugs were prone to cracking sometimes, so it's possilbe the lugs were replaced without holes being drilled.BTW, I have 6 lugs on ebay now...http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-Radio-King-Snare-drum-lugs_W0QQitemZ140355056589QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20add033cdAlso...it's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the drum has the earlier stick chopper hoops, which would be consistant with the badge...However the 3 pt is a '60s or later version...There's a lot going on...

Yes, there definitely is a lot going on, which is why my friend has had a hard time getting a positive ID.

A few of the things that are going on which aren't shown, or aren't obvious, in the photos:

I'm certain the hoops are not original. They're stick choppers, but they appear to be chrome and are close to mint. There's is no engraving of "Radio King" or anything else on the side, so I guess they're some sort of replacement stick choppers.

The shell and wrap are in great condition, no non-original holes or damage, and surprisingly heavy. The wood shell seems quite a bit thicker and heavier than say, a Ludwig Pioneer or Jazz Festival.

In my photos the badge looks kind of like it has copper or brass raised letters on a painted black background, but that's a trick of the lighting - the badge has no ink or paint on it at all, like this 1951 badge:

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/badges/slingerland/slingerland_gold_oval_large50.jpg[/IMG]

or this 1955-59 badge:

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/badges/slingerland/slingerland_brass_oval_badge_large.jpg[/IMG]

And now that I look at these two badge side by side, I'm thinking my friend's drum has the '55 - '59 style badge since it matches the raised lettering on it, versus the stamped-in lettering on the earlier badge.

Something odd about the badge, too - it doesn't have much curve to it, and seems almost flat, so it doesn't fit completely flush to the curve of the shell. And it's a little loose - you can rotate it a few degrees in either direction. I'd be tempted to say it might be a replacement, but the grommet looks normal on the back side, as far as I could tell in the not-so-good lighting where I saw the drum. Replaced badge grommets sometimes look a little funky and torn up on the back side (inside the drum, that is), but this one seemed OK.

Has anyone ever seen this 'flat badge' syndrome on a genuine Radio King?

And finally, there's the issue of the apparently replaced snare butt end I mentioned earlier. It's a perfect fit and is obviously the "right" part since it matches the design of the strainer and the mounting two holes it does have line up perfectly with the existing holes in the shell. But it can't be original to this drum, so it's got to be either a repro part of off of another drum.

I'm certainly not trying to dispute the legitimacy of my friend's drum - he knows it's not original - I'm just trying to help him find out exactly what he really has. Other than a very cool looking and awesome sounding drum, that is. :)

Thanks to all for their input.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here