Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

I was told i wasted my money.....

[img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2638/mvc339fgb2.jpg[/img]

I bought these vintage drums , Yamaha D-22 (deluxe 22) for AUD $499

some guy at the pearl drummers forum reckons I wasted my money and the drums are bad.

my question is he correct. How good do these drums sound? what modern kit would you compare them to in terms of build quality.

Posted on 17 years ago

That kit is definatly NOT a waste of money.I have a vintage Yamaha kit that I came across by accident and it sounds great.The thing with Vintage Yamaha kits is that they are very rare.Yamaha didn't export kits until the later 70's so the ones in global circulation are from either people having moved,or from more recent internet trades.Matter of fact the Yamaha headquarters in California doesn't even have a 60's kit to display because they can't find one.And thatd also because people like me ( amongst the other such as yourself with the kit ) won't part with them because of the quality and value.So again no you did not waste your money and the person from the pearl forum hasn't the slightest idea what he is talking about.I think that guy has spent way too much time with his forum kit to have the slightest idea of how many amazing drums exist in the world.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 17 years ago

You certainly did NOT waste your money! Whoever told you that has no clue.

I own a Yamaha kit of that vintage in Red Pearl (20/12/12/16, 5 x 14 steel snare), and I love it to death! Use it MANY gigs in the old days. The shells are the precursors to Yamaha's 7000 series with a birch/"mahogany" (lauan) composite and rounded bearing edges with grey coated interiors. Very nice and warm-sounding. Heck, you even have the original front head!

These are nice drums and sleep collectors items. Just mount some good heads and play 'em!

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 17 years ago

I dont think you wasted your money.. in fact I think you got a good deal! kit looks beautiful in my opinion.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Hey it's not a Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa Slingerland, but that's a fine looking drumset. Wrap looks nice, chrome is shining. I'm jealous, nice find!!Keep on Pl

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here