Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

I want fix up an old Radio King

Hello, I'll try to describe this drum as best I can so you might be able to supply me with the correct strainer and butt plate.

This is a 14" x 7.5" 16 lug (8 top, 8 bottom) Slingerland radio king. It has beautiful "scalop" style lugs.

th badge reads: Slingerland quality drums

Chicago ,Ill USA

The damping devise is intact, but the strainer and butt plate are long gone, replaced by incorrect student model parts.

Sadly the shell has been drilled to make the wrong parts fit.

Where the strainer and b.p. should go, there are two 1/2" holes centered on each side of the shell. Now that I look close, I can see there are two smaller holes on each side, drilled under the larger. These appear to be the original holes. They are in triangle pattern on both sides and both sides appear to mirror one another. (they look the same)

I would like to purchase a correct throw-off strainer and butt plate assembly for this drum.

Also, the bolted on parts (where the snare wires pass through) on the bottom rim are rusty. The rim is perfect, but bolted on brace things are a mess. Can these be replaced?

It is interesting, the rims must be brass and the bolted on brace parts must be plated steel?

Adam

Posted on 18 years ago

Do me a quick favor and take a look at this page on the web site. This way we can quickly get to the answer without a picture.

Click Here

Let us know

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Wow, thanks for the pics.

What I have appears to be a 1940 Gene Krupa model #193, painted blue and silver.

Adam

Posted on 18 years ago

Can we get a picture of the strainer side. The clam shell strainer had one larger hole on top and two smaller holes lower down. So it sounds to me like someone drilled another hole between the two smaller holes to add that strainer. Fortunately for you then the clam shell strainer should cover the other hole, depending on where it is.

So finding a clam shell strainer and butt will take a little time, but they have been coming up on Ebay more regularly. It could be nickel or chrome hardware so you need to figure that out next.

Other then that the "Snare Gate" you are referring to could be cleaned of rust and should just remain with the drum. Finding the correct hoops in good condition will be a very pricey endeavor since they are commanding top dollar at the moment.

It has been kind of a sad that the parts of drums are costing more then the drums themselves!!

The only thing I can say is be pateint and take your time finding parts.

The finish is called Duco and that is pronounced "Doo Koh" and not "Duck Oh"

Keep asking questions if you have any more.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hello all,

So the shell on this drum is pretty beat up and even cracked a little around the dampener knob.

Would it totaly lame to use the hardware, badge and everything and build a new snare drum?

I would use a new trick or Nickel throw-off and a new wood shell.

I thought I would post the question before doing anything silly with a vintage drum that might be valuable, even if it's in crummy shape right now.

Can a fellow reproduce the duco paint or would a wrap be a better choice?

Adam

Posted on 18 years ago

I think your o.k., to do what you want. Based on the condition etc..

Personally I would probably just fix the drum up and not switch to another shell. Is the wood shell an internal issue or exterior finish issue??

I would probably fill it, sand it and either paint or wrap the drum.

If you decide to wrap you it, you need to make certain heads will still fit. Yes, the drum can be repainted and there are people that can do it and make it look original.

Clean and buff all of the hardware and go and play it!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Adam,

Based upon my limited knowledge of Slingerland drums, I would just generally advise ALL people to take an inventory of what it might take to really restore a drum like that.

You say it's been drilled? Bad deal! So, the only "proper" fix is to have the holes "plugged" with small dowels...then sanded flush to the inner/outer surface contours of the shell. Once the shell has been filled, then to have a legitimate job of re-"Duco"-painting it would have to be done after consulting with an auto shop painter or someone with access to the right paint-spraying equipment who knew what they were doing. There would be a LOT of prep work to do for a proper paint application, though -careful prep work.

Finding the proper parts may also be difficult and/or expensive.

If you want to " hot rod" a drum with a Nickel strainer and new stuff, then certainly you would find a better choice than an antique Slingerland shell.

When restoring a drum, there really is only ONE way to do it....the right way! ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here