Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

I really need your honest opinion....am I being to picky??

Hey guys, I have posted before about this older Yamaha Recording Custom snare that I am restoring. Long story short, the chrome on the shell and lugs was in rough shape.......so......I found an eBay auction for the correct lugs to replace the originals...(Yamaha doesn't sell them anymore). They were NOS and all were in the factory Yamaha sealed bags when they showed up today. Out of the 10 lugs, I would say 3 of them were just ok and I could deal with them, the other 7 has some sort of imperfection or mark on them. I understand that these parts are going on 30 years old. Am I being to picky that they aren't perfect?? I paid $5 per lug, so I have $50 in lugs that I am not 100% happy with, should I just accept them and use them or send them back. I do have the originals and could just have them re-plated. What would you do???

Posted on 14 years ago

Dunno. I sold my mint (seriously; mint) Birch Custom earlier this year. I can't imagine trying to track down lugs for that one. I don't believe that a fiver per lug is all that bad...considering what we are paying for Rogers and Luddy lugs.

Posted on 14 years ago

Man, If it were me, and the seller indicated "New Old Stock", not used... How can you be certain they were in 100% original packaging? And what is wrong with them, as far the type of damage? If they were sealed in original packaging, how can they be damaged? Are you talking about minor pitting, or just plain look like they have been used? That is a tough call, but I might send them back if they are not in really mint condition, or what I would expect for "NOS". But that is just me.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

They were advertised as new NOS pieces. They were in the factory sealed plastic bags. I had to cut them open, they were surely sealed. All the pieces have marks on them. I will define them as small scratches or little dings and some of them have small imperfections in the chrome like little bubbles. Again, maybe I am being picky, but they are not perfect pieces. They have probably been tossed around in different boxes or bins for the last 25+ years which caused the issues I am finding. The problem is that I can't get these anymore and to my knowledge, I bought 10 of the last new ones that I know of. So my option is send these back and have the originals re-chromed when I do the shell and throw off hardware or just used these NOS ones and see how they hold up and not worry about it. What would you do??

Posted on 14 years ago

That's tough. Like mcjnic, I don't like to answer those "wwyd" questions because I can be a di....well, let's say I can be less than amiable. When I buy parts, I won't look at NOS as being in used condition. It is either in the condition I want or it is not. How is that? And I know, finding those in really good shape is going to be tough. Getting them rechromed, honestly, is going to scare hell out of you, as it will likely run $15-20/pc....unless you can find someone you know who works in a chrome shop. There was a thread here that explined the cost and what is involved, and it is work. They heve to blast each part and remove the old chrome, taking it down to bear metal, and then repair all of the pits and othe damage, the polish eah piece after it comes out...lotta work. The tiny bubbles you describe is what happens before the visible pitting. It happens just before a minute hole in the chrome appears. So, "wwid" is not what you want to do. If they are much better than you have, keep them, and inform the seller they are not in good shape at all, so he can not tell the next guy, because he doesn't care if you are happy, unless it looks like you might hickey his Feedback....Then tell poeple they not primo, regardless of NOS labeling, especially if he tells you to take a hike.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, I think that is what I am going to do. I don't think I am being to picky, I bought these under the assumption that they were new....not NOS with issues. I guess for $50 they are a lot better than what I have right now but surely not what I was expecting.

Posted on 14 years ago

NOS is a term that is thrown around a lot in a lot of circles, be it the drum world or the auto industry. It can be misleading. I've even seen NEW stock sold as NOS because the buyer didn't know the difference. Look on ebay and do a search for Ludwig lugs. Chances are you'll find some in nice new packaging, the red and white labels. This is CURRENT stock, NOT NOS. NOS= New OLD Stock, meaning discontinued, no longer available. Thats all it means, it doesn't infer condition. A new part sitting around for 30 years on a shelf, "sealed" package or not, will incur damage of some sort over that life of sitting around. Its to be expected.

I look at it this way, if they are in better shape that the ones you have then use them. The rest of the drum isn't "NOS" condition is it? Not if you are restoring it.......if it was there would be no need to restore it now would there? Five bucks a lug is cheap in the drum world, especially for a part that hasn't been available in years. You did ok in my book. Try finding NOS parts for a vintage Leedy kit or a George Stone drum sometime, then we'll really talk....:D

Posted on 14 years ago

Being in the old car trade,NOS is not an indicator of pristine condition.Shelf wear and bad environment contribute to scratches,pitting,rubber parts deteriorating etc.And,do not expect replated old lugs to be perfect.Pot metal,which is a term used in the auto biz to describe any cast metal,is notoriously hard to replate.Any imperfection that is not covered by the flash coat,usually nickel or copper,will bleed through the chrome,making a hole or bubble.If your plater has never done pot metal parts,move on to the next guy.If you do find a reputable plater,don't be surprised at a $100 bill to do those lugs.The plating industry has been hit hard by the feds for reclamation of waste.Plating chemicals are incredibly toxic.I know-I worked in a plating plant for 4 years.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks guys.....I am just going to keep them, use them and stop worrying about it....Hope you guys have a great day!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here