Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

I need some parts for a 61 Gretsch 3ply kit

Yes - I said 1961 3ply with silver sealer and the drums are the not-so-common small sizes (1420 bass, 812 rack and 1414 floor........5.5x14 stickchopper rimmed snare too). I know Gretsch changed from 3ply to 6ply in 1958 and introduced Silver Sealer then too. However, there are some 58-61, maybe even later, 3ply shells out there - so I'm told by Gretsch historians.

Someone - years ago changed out the Gretsch strainer for a Rogers.

If someone can send me some closeup photos of what original early 60's snareshell (strainer) screw holes look like that would be great........and the shellside of the throwoff itself would help. I want to see how much "damage" was done to the snare to accommodate the, very nice I might add, Rogers throwoff.

I just bought the drums last weekend and it's my very first kit restoration project. I'm not in a hurry but I can use a lot of help. Stuff is broken here and the drums have been neglected and not played in decades I think.

I have a shopping list........so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. I have hundereds of photos so far........keeping a good record as I go. I'm only at the cleaning and documenting stage.

I know I can go one eBay and Craigslist - in fact that's where I found the drums, but I thought it might be helpful to ask here first.

Here's the drums as I unpacked them and sorted through the drums. They came with nice fiber cases and a "goodies" box with what appeared to be broken and rusted metal and some sticks. It turned out to be a 18.5 K Zildjian, 14" A Zildjian hats, Beverley Crash, Speed King hihat and Speed King pedal, wood block and drum attachment, sticks and a few other odds-n-ends. The cymbals polished up beautifully!

Thanks,

Gary

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice! I am going to keep up with this resto!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 15 years ago

From jonnistix

Nice! I am going to keep up with this resto!

No pressure Help2

It's my first kit restore and I'm a little nervous because it's my DREAM kit.

Oh ya - my Gretsch Renown Purewood African Mahogany is great and I love the look and sound, but..........this old Vintage Gretsch has been calling me for decades.

I will do my best - and - spare no expense.......well - within reason of course.

I don't want to cheap out here if you know what I mean.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Gary

Posted on 15 years ago

you got a k instanbul in that lot,they are worth a fortune!!! check on it,you are a lucky guy!!!!

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 15 years ago

Can I have that old, beat up POS cymbal? I mean, look at it, it's all dirty and old looking, probably ain't worth the money it would cost to mail it, but I would pay for the shipping...;)

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 15 years ago

From jonnistix

Can I have that old, beat up POS cymbal? I mean, look at it, it's all dirty and old looking, probably ain't worth the money it would cost to mail it, but I would pay for the shipping...;)

Ahhhhh - let me see.............noooooo :rolleyes:

And Jonnistix ..........I did check it out here and Cymbalholic said it's about $800.

I need help finding parts. I've been going on eBay but I keep loosing the bids so far. I have a couple of contacts that will be getting back regarding 20 hoops, a strainer and other parts I need to get the kit up-n-running.

I also need advice on how to best Glue down loose wrap. I'll post a thread somewhere but if anyone here reading this knows how to best do that please reply.

Here's the four drums cleaned up a little..........3ply GOLD SPARKLE (the tiny hexagon flakes) - shells made in 58 or before but the drums were silver sealed and sold new in 1961 (after the switch to 6ply in 58)

SIZES: 812 Tom, 1414 Floor, 1420 Bass and 5.514 snare.

die-cast hoops (rolled hoops on toms - stickchopper on snare, 1 1/2 inch hoops with 3/4" Gold Sparkle inlay not show here of course.

AND..........I've include a photo of LUG parts I got on this forum.

None of my lugs have the "felt" in them. Is it necessary to have felt in the lug? I don't think mine had felt in them to begin with.....I can put FELT in the lugs if it will help.............

Thoughts??

Posted on 15 years ago

From Kona

Ahhhhh - let me see.............noooooo :rolleyes:1) And Jonnistix ..........I did check it out here and Cymbalholic said it's about $800. 2) I also need advice on how to best Glue down loose wrap. I'll post a thread somewhere but if anyone here reading this knows how to best do that please reply.3) AND..........I've include a photo of LUG parts I got on this forum.4) None of my lugs have the "felt" in them. Is it necessary to have felt in the lug? I don't think mine had felt in them to begin with.....I can put FELT in the lugs if it will help.............Thoughts??

1) Sweet score! :p:p

2) I know this will bend a lot of folks all out of shape, but this is how I do it. It's up to you to listen to all of the others opinions and suggestions. I use a two part epoxy. I take something flat and thin, like a putty knife and lift the ring gently away form the shell. Using 6" long bamboo skewers from the grocery store, I carefully fill the void, then clamp it down long enough for the epoxy to set, then remove clamp and clean any residue off the edges before it gets too set. Try not to get it on the edges. You will have to be very careful when realigning the ring as you may not want to disturb you bearing edges too much, unless they really need some attention. Just my way of doing it, I use epoxy because I can control the amount of hardener and regulate how it sets and how thin it is in order to get it in narrow spaces. Just never tell anyone you used epoxy, and it will never be a problem. And in three ply shells, it will give some added support to the area around the affected ring.

Sorry, you said wrap. I thought you were trying to re-glue a re-ring. This should work for wraqp as well, if you can't get the actual glue the factory uses. If you have some woodworking clamps you should be able to use this technique, regardless of the glue. If you have a Harbor Frieght Tools in your neighborhood, they have all the goodies you will ever need, and for just a little pressure, even cheap tools work just fine!

3) I clean my swivo nuts by threading them onto a tension rod and twisting them in some 4-0 steel wool, and using a screw gun, it fit a socket and take the t-rod and run it in and out a couple of times, cleaning the last 40+ years of crud out of the threads. I wet my steel wool with some mineral oil, making it run in the threads of the nut easier. If you really have some time, you can take some 4-0 and screw it in and out of the swivos as well.

4) No, felt is not absolutely necessary, however it will help keep the springs for vibrating against the shell if it gets out of line. And it helps dampen any other lug vibrations as well.

Posted on 15 years ago

From jonnistix

1) Sweet score! :p:No, felt is not absolutely necessary, however it will help keep the springs for vibrating against the shell if it gets out of line. And it helps dampen any other lug vibrations as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes I'm ussing the 4-0 steel wool and it's working great.

Good answer re: the felt in the lugs - I've cut and applied the felt to all lugs - except the snare lugs they're in the mail somewhere at the moment. My snare lugs were okay, but some were dented. I couldn't buy three so I got a complete set of snare and bass lugs on eBay.

I've ordered a complete set of heads from Gretsch and lots of other parts (eBay) that should be on their way via the POST by now. It's going to be like Christmas when all the stuff starts arriving.........and it might very well BE Christmas before I get the items.......Mail Service from the USA to Canada can be a tad slow sometimes.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here