Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

I need some advice on a Supra

I've played the Supraphonic snare many times before in recording studios and love the dry tight sound of them. (at least the ones I played were like that) now, my concern is, since I play mainly newer heavier rock now, would the 14x6.5 be a better choice over the 5.5"?? Do you think the 5.5 would hold it's own?? Pro's and con's of either one?? What other snares out there are, in your opinion, are very versatile?? I do play some jazz/fusion once in awhile as well. I know I can use different snare drums and do, but I'm looking for something older, that will spank the new snare drums out today!!

Posted on 16 years ago

I prefer the 5.5 to the 6.5. I know the larger one is rarer, but I like the sound of the smaller one. 6.5 is going to cost you about 700-1000. The 5.5 averages at around 200-350. Both models will hold their value and increase in value, in my opinion.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Just to make things harder, my opinion is exactly opposite. In college one of my three go to snares was a 14x5 Ludalloy Supra, that I thought was okay, but nowhere near great. It always sounded too bright and ringy and I thought it was too harsh sounding. At the time my personal drum was a 14x6.5 Ludalloy Supra and it was SO much better than the 5" deep snare. More depth, body, and punch, and a much more pleasing tone.

Both of them, however, were completely blown away by a 14x6.5 bronze Supra. Body, tone, response, clarity, EVERYTHING a snare drum should have, this drum had TONS of. And a tuning range a mile wide. This drum sounded great no matter what I was playing and no matter how it was tuned. To this day I STILL miss playing that drum.

Posted on 16 years ago

I prefer the 6.5x14 as well. I had both for years, and sold my 5x14 because it never got played. The 6.5x14 can be cranked up if needed, or tuned low. You mentioned you were looking for an older drum, and the 6.5x14 will set set you back $500-$1,000, but the newer Supras are pretty good so don't rule it out completely. On Ebay, you could score a VG one for $300-ish....on a good day.

Acrolites are the same shell as the Supras (8 lug instead of 10), and they're cheap....$50-$150, and since you typically only see 5x14's, maybe you should just get both!! You can never have too many snare drums....unless you ask my girlfriend.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here