Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

I need a little advice.

I am new to drum restoring. I purchased a 14x4 two piece NOB snare shell a few weeks ago on ebay. It seems to be in the 1920's era, but after lookng at catalogs, I am thinking that it is a circa 1914 Ludwig Universal.

I have three questions. There are 4 very, very small extra holes, can they be filled in any way? If I can't fill them, will it significantly reduce the value? How should I go about refinishing the shell? (When I bought it, it was covered in blue paint that I have already stripped)

Thanks!!!

(The extra holes can be seen in the picture.)

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi there - Cool project drum.

You could possibly have a welder fill in the holes, but I'd be very worried about damaging the thin shell with that much heat. I would personally just leave the holes since I doubt there's any way to completely hide the holes. Filling them in would still leave tiny spots where the nickel would be missing.

The holes do take away from the value of the drum, no question, but warping the shell or causing discoloration from intense heat would devalue it even more I think.

As for refinishing... polishing the shell is the only option I think. Re-chroming would devalue further, much like a vintage guitar which has been stripped and refinished.

It looks to me (2nd picture) like you could bring most of the shine back with some elbow grease and metal polish. Nothing abrasive though - Don't want to scratch the nickel.

FYI... I have a 1960's Ludwig Acrolite shell with the same extra hole pattern as your 1914 drum. Weird.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Off the wall shot here.. you might try a tinsmith since they work with these kinds of metals. http://www.jptinsmith.com/aboutus.html and just see if he can drop some metal solder (maybe even brass) into those holes... or he might have some ideas as well.

Just an idea..

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi Sharky.

You found yourself a very old snaredrum with a lot of history - including the drilling of some extra holes.

Clean it up, add some nice suitable heads, play it, and be happy.

Trying to bring it back to original condition makes no sense (read: is impossible) because what makes the drum worth anything at all, is its history -- the fact that it´s old.

By the way it seems likely to me, that a few extra holes drilled into a flat 4" snare would actually make the heads swing a bit more freely, and make it "sound better" -- but that´s definately not a documented fact.

Best of luck

Carsten M

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks guys! I have it out to be nickel plated right now. I may just ask them to polish it instead or even just cancel. If anyone comes across any strainers from this era that attatch to the shell with only one hole, please let me know.

Posted on 15 years ago

I have recently aquired two shells - they look almost exactly like yours (without the paint) but no badges and no hardware. I would love to know where you will get the tube lugs and other parts to complete the drum. Mine are 15X5 and 15"X 4"

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here