Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

I need a large-fitting drum head for my 1414 floor tom

I'm looking for a brand/model of drum head (Evans - Aquarian - Remo etc.) that fits a little large.

I have a 1958 or so 6ply 1414 Gretsch tom in Gold Sparkle wrap that I'm having difficulty fitting heads to.

I solved the problem in one way by custom fitting wood flesh-hoops and tucking my own calfhide heads. But I would also like to put 'plastic' heads on the drum for a change once in awhile.

The drum shell is pretty much 14" diameter - and the wrap adds to that diameter making for a very tight fit for the heads I've tried so far. In fact when I bought the drum last year I had to struggle to get the existing old head off the drum. This tight fit makes it difficult to tune = the head does not ride on the bearing edge properly. The one that fits not too bad at this time (a little tight thought) is an Evans G1 clear. I had it laying around and tried it. I was told recently to give Aquarian a try - did that with a New Oleans Special but it would not even go on the drum. Maybe Aquarian does have a model that will fit a little larger.

Thoughts??

Posted on 14 years ago

American Vintage, I believe, is the name of the over-sized Aquarian heads.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

American Vintage, I believe, is the name of the over-sized Aquarian heads.

Thank you sir..

I've sent Aquarian an email.

Posted on 14 years ago

I used Remo's on a 14" snare that I wrapped. Before installing the heads I went around the edge of the wrap very lightly with 220 grit sand paper to make sure there was no "burr" then I went around the inside rim of the head with paraffin wax. The heads slipped on and tuned just fine.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

I think it might be interesting to find the tightest fitting head and order a 15 in that line. Might be something to think about.

Posted on 14 years ago

You can order the Aquarian American Vintage heads from Interstate Music. Excellent service and a good quality drum head.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here