Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

I need a good solid brush

I have three or four pairs of new brushes but they don't seem anywhere near the quality of an pair I had - four decades ago. Those ones had a red rubber shaft and nice thin full brushes. I don't know maybe I wouldn't even like them now but I seem to remember they were exceptional that time.

One pair I bought recently just flew apart in mid-tune! These aren't cheap bruses. I bought some Jeff Hamilton signatures and while they're good - they're not what I'm really looking for. I also tried the ones with turned-up tips = not for me. I gave the metal shafted ones a try - they had the best brush, but I had to tape the handles - the metal rubbed off in a big way (I looked like I had "tin-man" hands) and those were the ones that flew apart.

Has anyone here found a great solid - lots of little wires - high quality brush that you'd recommend?

Posted on 14 years ago

Found some nice brushes. Orange rubber-handled (the ones with the metal ring on the end to retract them). Ordered them yesterday. They look like the ones I've been looking for....nice solid looking brushes.....we'll see.

http://www.brushfirepercussion.com/

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm really happy with the regal tip, retractables, although I like to position them about 3/4 of the way out, and then carfully wrap gaffer tape around the point where the brushes go into the shaft while maintaining the flatness.

this changes the balance a little, allows me to use them as mallets, and keeps them positioned exactly as I like them. While I like the feel, I also really like the sound of them.

m

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1970 Rogers Power Tone Kit
1970's Ludwig Vistalite Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
28 assorted snares (including some real crap)
and 1 really nice K Zildjian Istanbul
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here