Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

I know this isn't vintage drum talk but.....

.... is there anything better than the feeling you get right after a gig where you packed the house?

It's 3:30 AM and I just got home from a Wednesday night gig where we packed the place beyond what the venue does on a Saturday night. The club owner was just in awe from the crowd.

We opened for a friend of mine whos band reunited tonight after 18 years. We opened for about an hour and then they did a 2+ hour gig that brought down the ****ing house.

Now.... I know a lot of you have played for years and this is old hat for you but I just started playing 2 years ago and when we're playing and the girls are dancing on the bar and the place is packed with people clapping and dancing and screaming...... ****, there's nothing better in life. Nothing at all.

My only regret in life is that I didn't start doing this sooner. I have met 3 presidents. I have made countless presentations before congress. I am a retired millionaire with countless business success stories behind me.... **** ALL THAT...

There's no better feeling I've ever had in my life than the feelings I had tonight. You guys that have been doing this for decades just don't don't know how lucky you are to have all this behind you. I would give up everything I have to be able to go back and do this since I was 10 years old like most of you.

I just can't express how UP I feel right now. I know plenty of you know exactly what I mean and many of you have already forgotten.

But. it's new to me and it's a high like I've never experienced before.

Thank God for drums and thank God for rock and roll.

Sorry for the rant but I just had to vent.

Posted on 14 years ago

What a GREAT GREAT RANT!!!!Yes SirCool1Clapping Happy2, kapperdog, thank you for your life experience penitence!!! and I haven't found anything to beat it yet!!!!band2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

There's a scene in the Robin Williams movie "The World According to Garp" where after playing with his kids all day, he says something like "sometimes you've got to realize that this is as good as it gets", and I always liked that.

There's been a few gigs where I've thought, this is the Big Time, it doesn't get any better than this. I've been at some gigs where I said to some of the musicians "can you imagine what we would have thought if we were 11 again and saw us now?". It's funny too because at a lot of pretty upscale gigs most of the musicians are of the mind that everything sucks. They forget how far they've come.

KapperDog all I can say is hold on to that feeling.

Posted on 14 years ago

Kap, Enjoy it. I've always said playing drums is better than sex.. Can be intimidating for someone new in your life, but when she gets it, she has a new appreciation for you and all you do....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice rant kapper! Do you remember the the images of Gene Krupa (inventor of the modern drum kit) dancing around his Radio King floor tom while playing "Sing Sing Sing". Man, he was in drum ecstasy.. We know that feeling. Comes right from the heart and ends up in the gut.

I love it when my partner jumps around, dancing all over the basement floor when I practice. I love it when I'm playing on snare line in our Drum Corps and while marching and playing our street cadence there are little kids dancing and jumping around on the side of the street with their parents smiling and clapping. Drumming creates life and health and happiness. We are all seeking that aren't we? Keep on Plflowers2

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here