Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

I got a Slingerland Kit - Let me in the club!

Hello all!

I recently jointed the vintage club, grabbed a Slingerland kit (14,16,22). I'm new to drumming (i have a recording studio, usually play bass) and i must say that this kit has me excited to get learning.

Here are a couple photos. I don't know much about what happened to this kit previously, but it looks like it had once been painted (eek!) and then stripped and stained. It also looks like someone attached a tom mount to the bass drum, as well as the 14.

Is there a way to restore those holes? Should I not bother, or might it be a good idea to put mounts back on the drums?

Also, I have no clue what age the kit is, there are no badges and the only stamps inside say "Slingerland" and that's it. Beautiful maple interior with re-rings as you would expect.

Looking forward to some feedback, thanks!

Posted on 9 years ago

your kit was once a wrapped kit, the wrap has been removed. The outer wood ply is mahogany, yes the holes can be filled,Your kit is a 70's model. the floor tom leg mounts aren't original either.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Oh, and yes, you're welcome to the club. Slingie's are the ugly stepchild of Ludwig's but still sound fabulous..

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 9 years ago

Welcome to the forum and the Slingerland club!!

One thing that has happened to your wonderful kit is the same I did to mine in 1979. Added the Pearl? dual tom mount. F'up 3 drums on that move. Anywho, here are some pics of the mount.

Creighton

3 attachments
Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

Welcome to Slingerland ownership! Also drums. I came to drumming later in my musical life, just a few years ago and it's blown my mind.

Pay no mind to the "ugly stepchild" remark. I chose to buy a Slingerland kit because I like its looks better than Ludwig (and Gretsch and Camco). Slingerland had the best lugs and hoops.

How are the holes in the tom tom? it looks like that Pearl mount is the only one that the bass drum has had, no sign of a Set-O-Matic.

There's nothing wrong with keeping the tom tom in a snare stand; even people with intact bass drum mounts do it.

As far as the unfortunate holes in the bass drum (and/or the tom tom), what I would do is make a cover plate from 1/16" ply and affix it with stainless steel bolts in the 4 outer screw holes. A piece of mahogany veneer or stain on top of the plate if you want it to match, but I don't think a contrasting piece of hardwood would look bad either.

If you were planning a re-wrap or Duco painting, then I'd just go with Kwik Wood stick epoxy in the tom mount holes.

Oh, and do get that tom tom a nice grommet for its vent hole.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 9 years ago

Welcome!

I too am a big fan of Slingerland drums. Nice kit you have there!

Why is it that Slingerland did not put vent holes in tom's for a certain period? I have a Kit like that and it sounds great, like the vent is not needed at all.

I think the concept of fabricating a wood cover for the holes is a good choice if your going to leave the drums as they are. You will never successfully plug those roughly cut holes with wood and stain to match the drum, that would look terrible. Applying new wrap or a veneer would be the best in my opinion but that takes money, the cover could be done with very little expense.

Whatever you do, I hope you stay around and share the repair process with us. Good luck to you!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

I love slingerland. My long departed drum teacher had a slingerland kit that was a teak wood like yours I'm thinking that one was a 70s kit cos I checked the years of different finishes- late 70s probably.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 9 years ago

I suggest putting a Pearl mount back on. It'll look fine. Only other vintage drummers will know the difference.

Posted on 9 years ago

From jerrysterken

I suggest putting a Pearl mount back on. It'll look fine. Only other vintage drummers will know the difference.

That is good advice also. The first thing I thought when I saw your kit was, wow, nice kit. The holes are a bummer but hey the finish looks nice the way it is.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

The Pearl mount is another option, but not really needed, IMO.

It's versatile, you can mount a cymbal arm in the unused holder, and there are all kinds of rim mounts that will mate well with Pearl arms.

Lots of good options.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here