Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

I Fixed The Broken Strap Guides On My Trap Case; An Easy Fix!

Hello!

I posted a thread about this awhile back (about how to properly fix them and what to fix them with) and came up with a good solution.

Most trap cases have four strap guides per side. Mine is a little smaller than standard, so it only had two per side, of which 3 had broken off with 1 original remaining. This was actually cheap and easy to fix. Here's how I did it:

1. I drilled out the rivets that had been holding the broken strap guides on. After the drill out, the hole was roughly 1/4", so I re-drilled with a 1/4" bit just to make the hole uniform. I then got two 1/4" hex head screws with one small washer and one large fender washer with locking nut for each screw on the strap guide I needed to replace (in my case 3, so a total of 6 screws/nuts).

2. I found a used leather belt at my local thrift store for $2.99. I measured the hole spacing on the strap guide holes that I drilled out, and they were 2.5" apart. I cut a section of belt that was 3.5". 1" wider than the hole spacing worked perfectly for me. I took an awl and made a starter hole on each side of the belt piece, than used a 1/4" spade bit to drill the hole in the belt to 1/4" on each side.

3. I put the small washer (about the same size as the head of the screw) and the hex head screw through the belt, and then into the trap case from the outside. I secured the screws with nylon insert lock nuts and large fender washers to give them a good "backing plate" so they aren't likely to pull out. I made sure the screws were straight, tightened them down, and presto, new strap guides! By being 1" wider than the hole spacing, it forces the belt to "flex" and give space for the strap to fit through.

This was very easy to do, and I have plenty of belt material left over. I just wanted to share this repair with you all so you can have another resource if you need to do a similar repair down the road. Enjoy!

P.S. The "rogue" screw and washer in the upper right of Pictures 1 & 2 is a hole that I covered to prevent spreading or cracking. I polyurethane all my trap cases, so that's why it looks shiny in the photo. Now all I need to do is load it up with stickers, LOL!

4 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Very nice work. Simple and effective! Thanks for posting this.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hopefully those bolts wont scratch what you put in there.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

From OddBall

Hopefully those bolts wont scratch what you put in there.

I'm not too worried about it. I guess I could always put some duct tape over the screws/bolts if need be. The way I see it, with all the stands, pedals etc. stacked on top of each other in the case, they are all going to rub against each other anyway, so if it rubs against the screw a little I'm okay with that. I don't gig with any "museum piece" quality hardware; everything is "players grade", so again, I'm okay with that.

Posted on 7 years ago

From mlayton

Very nice work. Simple and effective! Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Mike. Much easier than I thought it would be. Isn't it nice when that happens once in awhile? :)

Posted on 7 years ago

Oh I understand, I probably would have fed it through the other way with a pan head (rounded) bolt.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

It looks good but I'd like to make a suggestion-

Cut new leather about 1/2" longer. Maybe less than that. Put the screw through and loop it over. So the screw heads are "hidden" under the loop. A bit trickier but it would look factory fresh I think.

For inside, you can probably find nylon nut covers. Alternatively, cap nuts (solid ones, not the cheap ones) and a bit of locktite on the threads.

The poly is a really good idea! Satin would look less shiny but it will keep water from getting in there in the rain etc. maybe go crazy and rtv the lower and bottom seams so it's ok in a shallow puddle...

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

Have done similar fixes using a pop rivet tool - no edges to worry about scratching. Plenty strong as they only hold the strap in place.

Nice to see a Save/ Fix rather then another large Purchase.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here