Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

I Bought this Dyna Sonic shell/drum - good deal or no?

I just bought this Dyna Sonic snare drum minus the snare guards, the tone control, tension rods, snare frame & wires. I do have a NOS 1960's frame & Rogers wires & 20 tension rods from another Dyna Sonic as extra parts - I am wondering if this is a good deal? I have wanted an older 6 1/2 X 14 , 7 liner Dyna Sonic and I wonder if I got my wish...the only thing that I can tell negative is the s/n 1664 and it has B&B lugs, but the description says that all the lugs are uncracked and in good condition. It also says that it has the tall hoops...to me this all sounds pretty good and I did not hesitate to BUY IT NOW. Did I make a good purchase?

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Mike...

I guess a lot depends on HOW MUCH you paid for the shell. Regardless, it is a 61/2X14 COB 7 line, and there aren't a whole lot of those around. You have a 2nd generation shell here... pretty rare. It does have the B&B's, and they WILL eventually crack from tension/vibration... BUT! ... Jim Petty makes some EXCELLENT replacements that will NEVER crack, and they are a perfect fit, although you will have to use the innards from your B&B's. So,

You have the cost of the shell, and you will eventually lay out another $200.00 for replacement B&B's as Jim's lugs are $20.00 apiece... but then you will have what looks to be an excellent EARLY COB 7 line 61/2X14 Dynasonic, serial #1664. Should be a real nice piece! Would love to see pics when you are done!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommy

I paid $400 for the drum - here is the auction link with the complete description and pictures. I am feeling pretty good about this right now -you know how I had been asking about just such a dyna sonic.

Posted on 17 years ago

Seems like you are all set. I bet it's a great sounding instrument. Congrats. Has anyone seen how high these go for complete?

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Mike/Gary...

You did pretty darn good on this one Mike. The "key" here is that you already HAD the missing parts... and ... seeing as the B&B's aren't compromised as yet in the way of cracks, you really don't have to replace them... yet! So,

This drum, all assembled with everything accounted for and sitting pretty in the snare stand, will easily bring over $1000.00. And by that I mean at LEAST $1000.00 Mike. Standard 5X14 COB 7 line EARLY Dynasonics fetch just about that, and you have the much RARER 61/2X14... PLUS! ... as I had mentioned, this is a 2nd run shell, the first shells after the Gretsch made shells were replaced. The fact that this drum has the B&B lugs isn't a factor in this case as it is a very nice early, rare size. By the way, it will sound KILLER! You want sensitive and articulate? As crystaline as glass? But with a little more depth and plenty of projection? This drum will deliver.

Pics when you are done with the resto/cleaning/assembly please! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

For sure, I am really feeling good. Thanks Tommy & Gary

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here