Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

I believe this is a 1920's Ludwig Marching snare..

Pictures from the auction I won it at.. I picked i up today and looks pretty good. The wood hoops do have notches for the snares and it does have what look to be original snare beds. The design is an inlay.. absolutely beautiful.

Posted on 16 years ago

First Internal paper badge I have seen...

Can you email me a better photo for the web site?

[EMAIL="vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com"]vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks

David

Posted on 16 years ago

David,

Of course... always glad to contribute to such a wonderful site. Lord knows I've gotten my use out of it over the past few years.

I'm stuck at work today till evening but I will get some photos for you tonight. Unfortunately I don't have the hardware yet, and may never find it for all I know, but I'll get as good of pictures as I can.

That being said... if anyone knows where I might find the proper hardware... steal it for me!

-Tim McKenzie

Posted on 16 years ago

http://www.mckenziedrums.com/LudwigRefinish/

1024 x 768

David,

Help me out here... I finally got home and was able to really look at this one. It's a single ply shell... 15.5" diameter, 10" tall.. still in round for sure, though the hoops are a bit tweaked. Single ply though confuses me... also, how would one attach the snares on a drum of this era? I see one hoop has snare gates and the other hoop has a metal piece.. with a matching piece on the drum shell itself. :confused:

-Tim

www.mckenziedrums.com

Posted on 16 years ago

The Aero Kraft shell came out around 1924.... In fact they quote an article in the catalog that it was so strong it was stronger then steel, this was a ply shell though...

They even dropped it out of an airplane!

So the shell is after 1923...

Now, it could either have been a long thumb screw tuning or possibly a rope tension system...

The metal part on the shell held the strainer which was just a long screw with the wires at the end....

The butt side would usually be attached with a piece of leather that was held in with the hoop....

I'm surely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination....

The drum however is nicely decorated so it had a purpose and was not just an off the shelf marching drum...

My guess is a junior parade model and the second metal part on the hoop was to hold the strap....

Let me try and dig up a picture if I can

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I do not have any catalogs or cd's with 1924 snare drums. The 1924 scan is for bass drums and the snares are from 1928 catalog...

David

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here