Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Howdy from a new member...

Tim Rose here... "Troser" on the board, now. Bass player for 20+ years, I also play drums and guitar "reasonably well"... Howdy!

I joined because of a vintage snare which I picked up today, that should really be in the hands of a true drum collector. I've got a nice early "player" Mapex Mars Pro kit, which suits my needs just fine. I've spent a good deal on very nice cymbals, which make the kit in my opinion. I've been collecting bass/guitar/amp gear for a long time, and am pretty happy there... I still buy a cymbal when it strikes my fancy, but since I'll likely never be a drum collector (famous last words, I'm sure), I'd like to see if anyone here would enjoy owning this snare.

Believe it or not, I picked this up today at our church's annual rummage sale... by my best guesswork, it's an early 1920's Ludwig; not sure of the exact model, though.

An interesting 6.5" x 14" snare; single-ply mahogany with maple hoops. Original black shell/finish, raw mahogany/maple inside. The rims are apparently copper-plated brass (referred to as Artgold?), as are the eight tube lugs, upper- and lower tensioners, butt end, and throw-off (marked Patent Pending). The oval brass badge says, "Ludwig / Trade Mark / Ludwig & Ludwig / Chicago" in line order, from top to bottom. Very good overall condition; in-the-round, no dents in the metal, plating worn but present, original finish, original hardware. Missing the actual strainer/basket (has throw-off and butt-end), and missing the bottom head. The batter is apparently the original calf skin.

At any rate, anyone interested can email me at [email]trose693@cs.com[/email] ; I'm in Vancouver, Washington. I had mixed feelings about signing up and immediately offering an item for sale, but I figured this community would appreciate that, rather than frown upon it... I hope I figured correctly. Apologies in advance if wrong.

I can email pictures to any interested person(s). I'm not 100% certain what would be fair, money-wise, to both buyer and seller... I'm not looking for a home run, but don't want to give it away, either. Some fair middle ground that leaves some headroom for a collector to feel he made a good deal is what I'm hoping for. And, since the other forums I occasionally post to don't have this icon available... guitar2 Rock on and thanks! ~Tim

Posted on 17 years ago

This sounds like a great offer to the forum members..

I'm sure someone will call you on this

Thanks for the chance asnd send me a picture at

[EMAIL="vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com"]vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com[/EMAIL]

David

Webmaster

Posted on 17 years ago

I would like to thank those of you who expressed an interest in the snare. The drum is sold, pending payment, to a member who wished to remain anonymous. I sincerely hope that this vintage snare will bring a great deal of fun and satisfaction to its' new owner.

:)

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here